When does the line in the sand get crossed

Spawnboy99

When does the line in the sand get crossed

Post by Spawnboy99 »

I'm not new to the international scene, but this is the first time HR and Staff from a new school are requesting us to do so many things, 4 months before we actually arrive. Aside from the paperwork things for visas etc, which is standard. We have been requested to join a number of social media groups (WhatsApp/WeChat) for communicating instead of using email, which now people from all over the world are asking questions at their own different timezones (let's not talk about the lack of professional lines these social groups can cause), we are requested to do Powerpoints as a way of introducing ourselves and family to current staff, we are requested to join a number of online sessions with SLT some going a few hours, some staff are even doing interviews for potential new staff joining, we have been requested to do a staff bio including a video introduction of ourselves this is marketing, selling the new staff to of course parents. While I understand all of this, at what point does someone put a line in the sand and say sorry but we haven't started working for you as of yet, and if you need to how would you word it?

Of course, some no doubt will read this and think it shouldn't be an issue and it's the schools just doing their dual diligence before they have staff arriving.
freetofly2022

Re: When does the line in the sand get crossed

Post by freetofly2022 »

There is no positive outcome to being part of a workplace WhatsApp/ Text messaging group. Unless its admin protected with no possibility to respond!!!! I repeat, no positive outcome! I am starting to feel that company run WhatsApp groups that go beyond the onboarding phase are unprofessional.

It always starts off simple with questions and some type of positivity; however as the school year proceeds DOWN, people ( teachers) start to show their true " texting personality" and often not questions that appear as questions are rather hostile.... directed towards another teacher but usually at some HR rep or admin ...... about some gripe......

I strongly advise everyone to leave WhatsApp groups, it is a breach of personal/professional space. Currently, I work two jobs and both groups have WhatsApp groups and on the same day both groups sent messages at 7PM at night discussing issues/problems. On that day, I made the decision to leave. It was an unneccesary stress and invasion of privacy time... personal time..........And frankly, everything I need to know I have asked someone in the group to inform me if its 100% necessary. More often than not that information is detailed through email.
mamava

Re: When does the line in the sand get crossed

Post by mamava »

At my school, we pair incoming teachers with 1 or 2 colleagues that teach in the same grade or department, where they can ask questions as needed. That allows the incoming teacher to decide how involved they want to be--but for me, I can't start up a new job in March while I'm trying to end well where I'm at! I don't mind a quick bio and I have followed the school on FB, etc. just to get a feel of the place, but it's all me-driven. Internationally, schools should expect their teachers to hit the ground running based on what they've learned AFTER they've finished their current school, unless the circumstances indicate something else. I'm moving to a coordinator position next year in my new school, so I have had to make time to get on board with some aspects of my new school, but if I were moving to another teaching role, no way.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It sounds like the line has already been crossed?

Really though if a presentation and some social media requests are pushing you away from the job, what else is really going on? It just seems like you dont want to job and are looking for a reason, any reason to withdraw and move on. Activity like this with this IS is just going to be the tip of the iceberg, they are going to ask you and require you to do lots of things youre going to chafe at with no end to frustration. If this is what causes you to draw a line, maybe you really just dont want the job?

If social media is an issue for you, than in the future tell your IS you have a dumb phone that doesnt utilize apps, so you cant use Whatsapp or Wechat.

For the PowerPoint, give them a single slide. Name for the title, photo in one box, and three bullet points: experience, degrees, and hobbies (gardening and baking) in the other box.

For the video introduction, sorry your dumb phone doesnt shoot video.

As to the meetings, have a direct discussion with the SLT that youre start date under contract is for some future date, not now, and you are still highly involved in end of the year activities at your current job. Then stop participating. If they have an issue with this then better you start looking now than some time later when there are fewer options.

Understand however that once the contract actually does start and youre onsite, youre IS can require you to do all manner of things whether you find them personally invasive or professionally inappropriate. Either one of you (you or leadership) acquiesces or you walk. Thats what it really comes down to.

I personally like the mentor approach with new staff as @mamava discusses, but it sounds like that really isnt the method your IS uses.