Where have people done online Master in Education and Leadership.

Spawnboy99

Where have people done online Master in Education and Leadership.

Post by Spawnboy99 »

With my next role, I get a nice PD allowance, so I have started to research the best place to do my Online Master in Education Leadership, one thing I have noticed is that prices from a variety of Universities and lengths vary.

Can I have a list of universities (links) where people have done this online, please? So can be used for future reference for other people interested in pursuing this.
MWJ1981

Re: Where have people done online Master in Education and Leadership.

Post by MWJ1981 »

I recently completed a 1-year Masters at Leeds Beckett University. It was nice to finish it within a year, and it was very affordable (even as a non-UK citizen), but be aware that "1-year" tends to stretch into 1.5+ years until you actually receive the diploma in your hands (due to grading, exam boards, red tape, etc.), and it does require a dissertation/thesis (Master's level, so only about 35-ish pages+), and mandatory live weekly Microsoft Teams classes (UK time zone, so for me in Asia that was 1:00 am to 4:00 am). The class sizes are quite small, so you'll have to participate in video discussions more than other universities you might be familiar with. There are a variety of MAs the faculty offers. Mine was in Education, Ethics & Leadership.
FabFour

Post by FabFour »

I just finished a Master's in International Education Leadership at Northern Arizona University, completely online (I live on the other side of the US). It cost roughly $1800 per class, which was doable one class at a time. I really enjoyed most of the classes, but there's one professor who's insanely difficult on many levels (as a teacher and as a person... he has a 1.2 rating on ratemyprofessors.com)... I suffered him twice but learned how far I can stretch myself, so I definitely learned something.

I recommend the program. I actually liked it, as opposed to just getting through it.

https://catalog.nau.edu/Catalog/details?plan=EDLINTMED
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If your PD allowance is nice enough I would strongly consider the M.Sc in Teacher Education from Oxford its not exactly Ed.Ld and its about £29K just for the tuition/fees (there are two additional weeks of two summers you have to be in residence) but its Oxford which is a global ivy and there are ISs that will give you headship and the keys just for being an Oxford alum.

Aside from that I would suggest looking at Uni. Portsmouth and Uni. Leeds Beckett both in the UK at about £8K and £9K respectfully they are less than half the cheapest programs you can find in the US and in many cases a great deal less.

If you must look at US options than I would first look at the Certificate in School Management and Leadership (CSML) form Harvard, which is a very modest 4 courses running USD$2K for the whole program, and its Harvard, another Global Ivy. Start with that and then combine that with a cheap online Masters (such as UPe at USD$4K for the program).

Adding a credential through DC would cost about USD$600, but one of the benefits of going through the UK (in addition to being half the cost) is that leadership credentials (NPQs) are much less common in the UK where they are not mandatory, unlike in the US where they are essentially a defacto requirement for regulated DE leadership.

You could combine the Harvard CSML program and the Portsmouth M.Sc Ed.Ld program with a DC Administration credential for about USD$12K (or about £1K more at Leeds Beckett if you must complete the program in a year), about a third of the cost of Oxford (after tuition/fees and travel costs) for the a comparable amount of status, a Masters in Ed.Ld and a leadership credential.

The Uni. Northern Arizona program is 10 courses so at USD$1800/course thats USD$18K which is twice Uni. Portsmouths £8100 M.Sc in Ed.Ld and a little less than Uni. Leeds Beckett M.A in Ed.Ld at £9K. You dont get anything extra for twice the coin either, its an Int. Ed.Ld program, no credential, just the degree. Theres no marketability or utility benefit either for twice the coin, it may as well be Acme Uni. of Arizona.
IE_sciteacher

Post by IE_sciteacher »

Canada has some options too.

Western University has a MEd Educational Leadership online option
Queen's University has an online MEd, one concentration is in Educational Leadership.

I am sure Toronto, UBC and other schools have similar programs.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Like the Uni. Northern Arizona program, Westerns (Ontario) program costs about USD$20K. Queens (Ontario) costs USD$22K. Both are about twice the cost of the previously mentioned UK programs. Neither program leads to a credential of any sort, its just a degree (you could use the DC Admin. pathway).
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Another couple:

University of Dundee does an online Masters which is linked to the IB, so useful if you're in an IB school.
University of Buckingham also does online Masters and also an online MA Education.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Is there an accredited and inexpensive EdD that is completely online and can be done in three years? Thanks.
popgirl

Post by popgirl »

I thought the University of Bath was one of the main ones in IE ?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Like the previous program, Dundee (Scotland) program costs about USD$25K if done (typically) over three years. About twice the cost of the previously mentioned UK programs, at that cost point you may as well do the Oxford program. Dundee does offer the IB T&L certificates (IBEC), and your certainly paying for those, though UPe provides the same benefit without the certificate at a fraction of the cost.

Buckingham has become very reasonable at about £5600 a little more than about half the previous UK Unis. You also have the option of doing the degree through the International Campus in Beijing.

Neither program provides QTS or a credential, just a degree.

The Uni. Bath is still one of the top options but it is no longer a fully online degree. It has gone the same route as what Uni. Buckingham has in place. Which is a hybrid program that consists of modules (typically 4) plus a thesis/dissertation. At Bath its possible to do 2 of those 4 modules entirely online, but like all of the Buckingham modules these are short residency requirements during the summer/winter of about a week (Bath) or for a couple days before the start of each module (Buckingham). You have to be on site/campus for these. The actual writing assignment which comprises your assessment for each module can be done by distance and typically is. Bath requires a thesis/dissertation, whereas Buckingham has a thesis/dissertation option and a portfolio option. Bath also has a research Ph.D/D.Phill that could be done by distance assuming release from residency.