HR Recruitment Manager- Asking Salary Expectation Before an Interview

Spawnboy99

HR Recruitment Manager- Asking Salary Expectation Before an Interview

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Why is it now more common for HR Recruitment Managers working for a school, to do the first phase of interviews? I understand it is to filter out the candidates before interviews with DP Or Heads actually happen, but when they go straight into asking what your expected salary is, I feel very uncomfortable answering this before an actual interview happens. I ask if they have a salary scale and if are they willing to share it but also responded by saying, I think I should be paid according to my skill sets within leadership, years of experience and what I can bring to the school. Now you don't want to shoot for the stars and be too high, but then again don't want to shoot too low. I have asked recruiters and Heads what my current market value is due to the above experiences, so base my answers on that.

What techniques or responses do you give when getting asked this question?
Heliotrope

Re: HR Recruitment Manager- Asking Salary Expectation Before an Interview

Post by Heliotrope »

Spawnboy99 wrote:
> when they go straight into asking what your expected salary is, I feel very
> uncomfortable answering this before an actual interview happens. I ask if
> they have a salary scale and if are they willing to share it but also
> responded by saying, I think I should be paid according to my skill sets
> within leadership, years of experience and what I can bring to the school.
> Now you don't want to shoot for the stars and be too high, but then again
> don't want to shoot too low. I have asked recruiters and Heads what my
> current market value is due to the above experiences, so base my answers on
> that.
>
> What techniques or responses do you give when getting asked this question?

I've never been asked this question, but not sure if that's normal or if that's the exception. I've only ever worked at schools with a fixed salary scale, where every teacher just got paid what the scale dictated.
At one school a candidate could try to negotiate what experience would count towards the entrance step, as they were a bit flexible on counting years before certification (although at best you could enter with one extra year), but that's all the wiggle room on salary I've seen during my career.
I have heard teachers say that the absence of a salary scale (and the schools abiding by them) would be a red flag for them, and I'm not sure if there are great schools without one that would disprove that.

If I were you I would think about what salary would be fair and acceptable (considering the school, location, your experience and your savings goal), and then add 25% or so. Not so much that they'll drop you because it's ridiculous, but an amount that a truly great teacher would definitely be worth to a school. They can then always negotiate.
Spawnboy99

Re: HR Recruitment Manager- Asking Salary Expectation Before an Interview

Post by Spawnboy99 »

@Hellotrope,

Thanks, just happened now, on holiday and the HR wanted to do an interview, going through the CV for clarification, then straight into salary expectations. I did mention I've recently received information from Heads etc about salary expectations but felt very uncomfortable answering this before an actual interview took place. I gave them a figure due to the research I have done and the contract I recently received.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not more common than it has been in my experience. Maybe a little more in those regions hit harder by COVID who are having financial difficulties.
Its as you can probably reason they want to know if they can afford you, and where your salary expectations align with the rest of their candidates before they send over a short, short list to leadership. Why invest the time and trouble just to discover after the interviews you want more than they can pay.

The best replies are either:
1) Youve done your research and you know what an appropriate salary expectation is for your value and the target IS given its region, and you quote that with the clarification that it also depends on the responsibilities and commitment involved which you will have a better understanding of after the interview.
2) Exactly what you said, youre uncomfortable quoting a salary until you have a fuller understanding of the job, duties, responsibilitys and commitment, which you will be in a better position on determining after an interview.

HR people are use to getting those types of answers so it wont surprise them. The worst thing you can do is quote a figure out of the IS range, which you may have an idea what it is and adding 25% to a very broad estimate may seem like a fast answer but if the number is outside what the range they have budgeted you wont move to the interview stage or even get an opportunity to negotiate. Youre better off coming in with a safe number, getting to the interview, and then if moving into negotiations state the best salary you think you can get.