Any math teachers here?

cdmxpaisa

Any math teachers here?

Post by cdmxpaisa »

I will be starting my IS journey next fall. Wanting to get an idea of the typical in's and out's.

My license is in middle school math (American). Total newb. Haven't taught state side as well.

What are the main curriculums/books schools are using?

I heard of MYP.

Do you teach 1 grade or multiple? If you are HS teacher, 1 subject or multiple?

Typical amount of classes / teaching / class hours a day?

TIA
fine dude

Re: Any math teachers here?

Post by fine dude »

Math / Physics
Personal favorite: Calculus by Michael Spivak (not for the faint-hearted)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Well the main curriculums are the US NC (Common Core, AP), UK NC (IGCSE and A*, with Cambridge by far the most popular followed by Edexcel, but the margin between them is large enough that Cambridge is the defacto curriculum), followed next by the IBO, then the IYC (Field Work), FR NC (AEFE Baccalaureate ), CAN NC (with Ontario province maybe leading the group), GR/Swiss (its not accurate to say the Euro Baccalaureate but internationally the German/Swiss ISs curriculum looks more like the Euro Baccalaureate program than they do either of those two NCs separately), then the various AUS NC, then its either the College Boards diploma (APID) or any singular form of the remaining NCs of countries like JP, etc.

As far as programs go, Singapore math is probably the most popular followed by Saxon math. Singapore is the buzz word to use if you can talk the talk and anything else unless the IS uses it is going to cause glazed over eyes.

MYP is the lower/middle secondary portion of the IBs program continuum prior to DIP and following PYP. Youre likely to see the courses in an IB ISs maths program structured as single stranded subjects with titles and content such as numeracy (general math, etc.), algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. Then ordered into categories for standard and extended maths. Its very easy to be in an MYP maths classroom and neither look nor feel like anything IBish is happening or going on. The organization and appearance of is very transparent unless the IS is using IB texts which are typically organized by year as opposed to subject. This matters because the subject of maths (like all subjects) in the MYP requires only 50 hours per AY meaning an IS either needs to supplement the program with another curriculum/program or they stretch out the material with more of a Mastery approach to the material. As an IS is unlikely to adopt more than one primary text for a subject an IB IS using an IB maths text is strongly indicative of a relaxed and integrative approach to maths (which is how it is organized and studied at DIP).
You should be aware though that in IE textbooks are less common than what you find in regulated (public/maintained) DE. There are far more many ISs that dont have required texts. ITs are expected to teach the various knowledge and skills absent a formal or official text. Even in ISs with formal texts, there are many ITs that will either issue them and not use them or elect not to issue or use them. The IT might use a text to compose lessons from and produce materials for students (such as worksheets) but thats not nearly the given you find in DE.
Teaching MYP maths is likely the easiest approach you will find especially for an IT thats weak in maths computation. You can fill a substantial amount of time lecturing conceptually and discussing application (real world importance) with IBness implications and issues, show a video of the actual computation, have students demo a few proofs in class against a provided problem set (where youre walking the seats checking for the keyed solution or have groups demo them on the board), and then allocate the rest of the time to independent work (with a published proof/work set). If students have a computation issue just redirect them to the video. Its essentially bringing the external part of a flipped classroom into the classroom. You will find plenty of computational proofs on You Tube and Khan Academy.

Typically an IT teachers a number of subjects and grade levels. Most ISs just dont have the number of students required to fill a FTE ITs schedule with only one grade/subject level. You might find in an IS where the early years of secondary an IT teaches paired subjects for that grade (usually maths/science and literature/humanities). Two to three preps is common with BSs rotating assignments more frequently which often results in more preps per term. Though a small IS may have small class sizes but if you are the sole maths IT or the maths department is very small (you and one more IT) you may find yourself with a lot of preps per term to prepare.

The median is around 20-25 instructional periods per week. On a weekly average its about 5-6 periods a day. An expectation of 1 prep period, 1 conference period, and 1 lunch/break period a day is reasonable. Though due to scheduling issues having a week where one day is filled with instructional periods and lunch and a day thats really lite (2 or 3 instructional periods) isnt uncommon.
cdmxpaisa

Post by cdmxpaisa »

I want to buy some books (preferably online ones that come with a teachers addition)

Trying to figure out which would be the best. Just so I can start looking at stuff, refreshing, getting ideas etc.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cdmxpaisa

Thats not a good idea, as you dont have a corrective feedback mechanism.

When you study something from a text it gets 'sticky' meaning it sticks in your brain. The longer it sticks in your brain the harder it is to challenge. As a noob your first text is going to be especially sticky. When you get into an IS and you get their text (assuming they have one) you will as humans naturally do use your cognitive compare and contrast tool, but you will be comparing whatever text they give you to the sticky one in your brain. If the texts are aligned and congruent than no problem, when they arent such as why are they teaching Z after X instead of Y after X your much more likely to reject the new text than your sticky one. That wouldnt be a problem if the sticky idea was vetted through a corrective feedback mechanism. That mechanism is your reflection and your students reaction to what works and what doesnt. Without that there is no evaluative check whether what gets sticky is workable for you.

So wait until you have a classroom, even if you have to get your own text on your own coin to serve as a guide in lesson design and construction. You will then be able to test it with students and against your experiences using it, which you can then accept or reject. This will provide you a gatekeeper of what gets sticky and what gets binned.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Apologies everyone for the "get off my lawn" moment - I promise that I'll try and not respond to this poster for a couple of months if its about getting a job or which country to work at.

I've noticed that you've made a few comments and I'm probably misinterpreting or forgetting something - but this is what I see

(1) You are a new Graduate teacher who has completed your qualification located in Vietnam (even though location is not that important)

(2) You wish to potentially work in China with some emphasis on saving money - lockdowns and such are not that important to you

(3) You are a new math teacher and want to know about which textbook to use and such.

So first onto becoming a teacher after your qualification. Unless you are a prodigy - don't expect to actually know how to teach well straight off the bat as University Teaching degrees can only teach you so much. So how do you actually become a good teacher? Well - having people around you working as a mentor and giving you support is pivotal. It's not the same as in practicums where there is a teacher in the room with you at all times and you don't really have control of the class. These mentors are there to support you - give you ideas and talk you through difficulties you may have.

Why am I mentioning this? Well - the chance of getting a school which provides you with this in China is almost non-existent at the moment. Parents are paying good money to send their money to "INSERT NAME HERE" school and parents will whine complain and carry on like a pork chop (or lamb chop if they are muslim/jewish). There is a massive shortage of international teachers in China at the moment and it's only getting worse. That means that China's best and brightest foreign teachers are leaving in droves.

In a world where math teachers are becoming as rare as hens teeth - I could not see a worse way of starting your teaching career. Don't forget that unless you have significant friends and family in the Chinese city you are moving to you will not have any family/friend support when things go south - and oh boy do they go south in your first few years of teaching. In my home country - 40% of graduates no longer teach after 5 years. We need as many competent math teachers out there as possible - and I'd prefer you to take a job that I want at a good school in a couple of years than having another competent math teacher bite the dust because of the bullshit and backstabbing that happens at a lot of international schools.

There is a reason why I like the 2 year rule before starting international teaching. You know just enough to teach decently - but still have enough of a learning curve so a new educational system is new and exciting.

And on buying textbooks. I've never purchased math textbooks for Grade 6-10 internationally. Do you want to know why? Well - each school I've ever worked at either (A) uses a different book or (B) has no textbook. The same is not true for DP / A Levels and such - where the content is much more static. There is an argument about which textbook is better though in the upper years - which I'll leave to teachers who enjoy teaching this content.

<<<RANT OVER>>>
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

The LW is located in Vietnam but is/has completed the Teach Now program with a US DC Standard (Professional grade) edu credential.
They are currently working in Vietnam is some edu capacity though they have stated they do not have the requisite 2 years post credentialing K12/KS experience making them an intern class IT.
The LW has indicated they feel they will fair best in a location such as China based on historically pre-COVID recruiting and employment availability research.
The LW does not have an edu related degree.

I generally concur with @sciteach on the relationship between academic studies in edu and the skills, knowledges, and abilities and their lack of applicability in the classroom. There are those however, and it doesnt require being a prodigy, who have a talent for the performance element (of the 4 performance, preparation, production, and presence elements) by which noob edus tend to be judged against. Preparation and production tend to be the easiest trainable elements but performance is more difficult as it essentially requires a live student audience.
The issue of mentors can also be a challenge. There are good mentors with varying levels of experience and there are poor mentors with varying levels of experience. Surviving the edu job for an extended period of time is not the same as growing into a better practitioner over an extended period of time.

I would further agree with @sciteach that finding a mentor who would provide a positive experience in China is going to be difficult to do. IE in general is not equipped to provide mentoring to intern class ITs, thus the 2 years post credentialing requirements in a K12/KS environment. IE also tends to provide lite exposure to various components of the edu tool box such as behavior management.
Parents pay substantial coin to send their children to an IS and the idea their coin is getting them what they see as an unqualified IT is not what they consider good value for their coin.

A lot of ITs are leaving China as a result of the COVID pandemic and the actions China has utilized to address the infection rate which are not having the success that was predicted or hoped for. China isnt going to see normality this year, it is hopeful they will by next year but hope and an empty sack is worth an empty sack. Meanwhile the remaining challenge will be if multi-national business will return in the form of an increase in expat populations and thus bringing their children from which IE rolls for the ISs that primarily focus on providing IE to expats. It those businesses do not return this will have a direct impact on recruiting and hiring in China.

I do not agree with @sciteach is the worst way to start a career in IE. I can think of worse places (like the ME).
Having a lack of a support system in any location and at every stage of an ITs career is going to be an issue. If you dont bring a support system with you, every location is going to have a lack of a support system.

The rate of attrition in edu is not comparable between DE and IE. IE benefits from a much better rate of attrition than it does in DE in the core western regions. To put it bluntly the noob IT has it easier in IE than in DE. There is less of a crucial need to master skills such as behavior management. While at the same time IE is much less forgiving to an ITs career in general.
There are 4 points of inflection in the performance/learning curve in edu, years 1, 2, 4, 8. In years 1 and two an edu needs to gain proficiency in two elements classroom management and lesson design and construction. ITT/EPP programs tend to address the initial states of lesson design and construction by addressing the first iteration of those lessons. Where they fall short is the corrective feedback mechanism in what you do with the lesson that works and the lesson that doesnt and more importantly the refining process that results in further iterations and improvement of the lesson.

While it would be ideal to have an appointment at a good DS in the early formative stages of an edus career that is rarely the case as most DTs even in maths must contend with offers and positions at less than ideal DSs. Some of these places can be true poo holes to work at. Worse than even the worst IS.
cdmxpaisa

Post by cdmxpaisa »

I have been teaching and living abroad for 10 years, just not math.

For me being a good teacher = solid student management skills + being able to equip the students with the knowledge they need to do well on any assessments.

An awesome teacher = the above + great interpersonal / motivational skills + having a deep understanding of the material you are teaching + being able to depart that onto kids in a manner they can grasp and understand + flexibility / creativity in teaching styles

Having a mentor is great and I will def attempt to search them out.

Luckily, the internet exists. There are so many good resources online these days, for free and paid.

I am pretty well traveled and will have back up money, so if things go south, it would not be much a problem. Would be annoying for sure.

I have no problem being on my own in a strange land. I am pretty adaptable, when needed. However, I will in no way feel forced to stay in a situation I deem a net negative.