Preparing for China next Fall while abroad. Work/Visa docs. Job Hunt

cdmxpaisa

Preparing for China next Fall while abroad. Work/Visa docs. Job Hunt

Post by cdmxpaisa »

Greetings,

Looking for some advice.

I am currently in Vietnam and planning to go to China next Fall.

I assume getting all the paper work sorted will not be easy.

It appears my options would be to go home during Christmas to get things sorted or pay some company to help sort my documents.

Before I came to Vietnam I did get all my documents sorted state side, but that was awhile ago and not sure I still have those. So planning for the worse atm.

If you have gone through this process, please share your experience.

Also, please list recommended sites/agencies and job fairs. I got my license through TeacherReady and will be looking for my first job as a middle school math teacher. So not expecting any tier 1 schools. I will be open to location in China.
sciteach

Re: Preparing for China next Fall while abroad. Work/Visa docs. Job Hunt

Post by sciteach »

China is in an interesting place right now - both politically and socially.

If you spoke to people 6 months ago about China - they would have told you that there would have been some movement on Covid after the 5 Year conference that just occurred (including myself). That did not seem to happen - even though you need to spend less time in isolation which is a positive thing.

Can I confirm that you'll have 2 years teaching experience as I believe that is the minimum expectation for visa. I'd be happy to be proven otherwise and I do believe that there has been some movement on this.

For finding jobs in China - there is Search Associates, TIE, Teaching Horizons and many more. To put it simple - if you are willing to move to China and have a pulse then there is a job for you there at the moment (with the correct qualifications and experience of course).

Feel free to ignore the following - but here are some things to consider before moving to China.

(1) The number of flights in/out of the country is still really small. This means that flights are expensive and difficult to get due to demand. This does not appear to being significantly improved in the near future.

(2) The Yuan is currently depreciating (currently at a 15 year low from memory). As such - some of the ultra high wages are losing a bit of their shine due to currency fluctuations.

(3) If you don't work for one of the schools which can employ everyone they need and get them in country - then expect to be completing lots of replacement classes on top of your normal teaching allotment.

(4) Once you are IN CHINA - travel in country can be open but can change on a dime. Also - it's challenging to leave for holidays/family emergencies at present. As mentioned before - flight prices are currently astronomical due to demand and support.

(5) If you are after a full international school experience - then the number of expat families living in China has (and will continue) to drop rapidly as it's difficult to get full families in and out. Many have not left the country since March 2020. It's almost 2023! Let that sink in. That means that apart from the best school in a few cities, international student numbers are dropping and the recent change in laws for teaching compulsory education will make this interesting in the next few years.

I've had my time in China and enjoyed it - but would not go back as I felt a change in the country for the worse. Call it my western perspective - but I've seen my Korean kids hassled on the streets in 2017 due to the THAD missiles. With the covid hysteria there at the moment - I'd hate to think what is currently happening.....
cdmxpaisa

Post by cdmxpaisa »

I don't really have any relevant teaching experience. Basically I have my degree and teaching license from the US.

Are you sure one must have 2 years experience to get a work visa in China for International Schools?

Flights from Vietnam to China right can be had for about 800 dollars.

Yea I am aware of the covid annoyances.

But I basically just want to put my head down for a year or two and work and save money.

Perfectly fine staying in my apartment if need be.
milesaway

Post by milesaway »

As a math teacher with certification, you would have trouble in the past getting a teaching position at a good school in China. Right now, you are a very attractive candidate for a position.

My suggestion is to go on line decide where you want to live and look at the international schools in that area. I lived in the Shenzhen area and would recommend that to anyone, great weather(some would say it is too humid), great shopping, great housing and easy to HK. I have contacts in that area that say that things are not as strict there as they were in Beijing and Shanghai. They did have to go remote for a while this fall, but I believe the majority are back face to face.

Your documents-a good school will walk you through what is needed and what you need to do, you might be able to do it all in Vietnam.

I don't agree that things are not going to improve, they already have and that is proof in how schools are advertising for positions now. Last year, if you were out of China, they wouldn't look at you at this time and stated such. Now they are open to those outside of the country. I am also going to assume that you are single, that is a plus.

Job sites.
JoyJobs
Schrole
TES
Teacher Horizons
You can try Search Associates, but they are pretty strict about the 2 year experience to even sign up.
milesaway

Post by milesaway »

What I meant to say, is that as a Math teacher with certification and not two years, you would have trouble, but this year you would be attractive. Mainly because of the subject and that you are certified.
Sorry
cdmxpaisa

Post by cdmxpaisa »

Thanks for the info.

I guess I could go ahead and start applying before my documents are sorted.

As a newbie, I am not aiming for a good school, but I will gladly accept one if offered.

Just looking to get my feet in the door at a decent school, where I can save some solid money and gain experience.

What would be the lowest salary you would accept in my position?
milesaway

Post by milesaway »

What documents are you referring to?

Salary all depends on the area in China.
cdmxpaisa

Post by cdmxpaisa »

Anything needed to get a work permit, working/resident visa etc.

So I am assuming degree, license, police check and health check.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

To be honest, visas and the like are really down to the location and contacts the school has with local governments.

Joining one of the free job agencies (such as Teacher Horizons) is your best bet for a start.

Just don't see them as an honest broker when it comes to schools. They get paid to get you on the plane.

Something that might be interesting is to see if anyone has gotten a job in China as a graduate teacher.

I've got lots of negatives to say about working in China specifically if it's your first job, but sticking to the non profit more well known schools might be a good idea.

Note that sometimes for profit schools with a local clientele and management can be some of the worst work locations in relation to toxicity.

On visas, your school does that and expect them to pay for most of it. Ask specifically about how you will get refunds on flights along with how you can get money out of the country. Note that laws I think have significantly tightened on getting money out of China specifically if you are a foreigner.

Many of the better schools pay a living allowance in RMB and then send the main pay to your overseas bank account. Note that I have warned you about only getting paid in local currency and the difficultly in moving money
cdmxpaisa

Post by cdmxpaisa »

So you are saying someone with the proper legal visas, work permits etc has issues sending the money abroad?

In Vietnam, so long as you are legally employed and the money was deposited by your employer on your contract, you can transfer money overseas no problem.
scooter93

Post by scooter93 »

I personally got into China as a new graduate with a masters during Covid. And personally know someone who did the same just having their bachelors. My certification was still pending when I arrived. Got a legit work visa and all.
scooter93

Post by scooter93 »

Also, it isn’t hard to send money home. You just need the proper documents (not hard to acquire) and to spend like an hour or two at the bank. You just fill out a form when you get there and the bank teller will do the rest. Just takes a while to do it.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Scooter gave you some important information. Unlike many other countries, foreigner's need to go into the bank and fill in paperwork. This normally needs to happen on a work day which limits your ability to do this.

Some schools are great and even have a bank representative come into the school once a month to do this. Some schools will resent you for just taking time off work to do this.

Some banks are helpful with sending money overseas, others not so much.

To put it simply, it depends on your school, city, bank, just along with teller.

I've heard both horror stories along with people moving money with ease in China.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Just go ahead and start applying. Schools know that not everyone has all the documents they need (and China can change these on a whim and also depending where you are in the country) so they realise that it will take a while after appointment.

Don't restrict yourself to "non-Tier 1" schools. You're a maths teacher, so in demand. Also, don't restrict yourself to MS either - there is an opportunity here for you to dip your toe into IBDP or A Level as well - they're not too bothered about the level you are qualified in, just that you are qualified.

FWIW, the better schools still tend to be in the Chinese Tier 1 cities.