SA Bangkok Fair - Still worth it?

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with @SJ. Fairs arent going anywhere as long as recruiters and leaders want them. SA isnt going to have to morph into anything even if it ceases its fairs, its position as a clearinghouse to bring ITs and ISs together even if all that remains is the database still has substantial value.
shadowjack

Re: SA Bangkok Fair - Still worth it?

Post by shadowjack »

Have had several teaching colleagues hit the fairs this years - all came back with jobs at good schools in areas they wanted that they are excited to go to. Some of the schools they had not applied to pre-fair, so the fair did make a difference. Others it was to close the deal. YMMV, but yes, the fairs are alive and well...

In addition, many of the candidates we are talking to are waiting to go to the fair before committing... once again an indicator that for many teachers, the fair is still an attractive option...
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

I ended up getting a job before the fair, so obviously did not go. Interesting to hear they made a difference for some folks. My next school is in Bangkok so attending would be a snap for the next time I am on the hunt.
booboo14

Post by booboo14 »

I wish I had the enthusiasm of others to go to schools in the ME, China or even Thailand. I just don't. After you subtract those locations there's really not much at the fairs.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Add Africa (Egypt), and some more of Asia (Vietnam, etc..) and as @booboo14 writes, there really isnt.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

booboo14 wrote:
> I wish I had the enthusiasm of others to go to schools in the ME, China or
> even Thailand. I just don't. After you subtract those locations there's
> really not much at the fairs.

This x 100 is why I will never attend another fair. China (mainland) is not even up for consideration. Going back to Thailand where you get taxed to hell and where 99% schools are complete garbage? I'll pass. ME I would only do again if it was a short stint for huge "you can retire" level money. Then you have the schools at fairs from Vietnam or other countries where the job description is 6+ pages long and they are paying you $32k gross a year...
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

You have to love those 6 page job descriptions, the ones that by the time you read all the way to the end you can't remember what the job even was.
Coimbra

Post by Coimbra »

I know lots of teachers who got hired at that fair, so I would say yes, still worth it. But depends on the size of the overlap between schools that are attending and schools you want to work at.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

And those ISs with 6+ page job descriptions and $32K gross all think they are first tier ISs.