chances of landing a teaching job in W Europe

jboeh2

chances of landing a teaching job in W Europe

Post by jboeh2 »

Hi,

I wanted to ask about my chances of landing a teaching job in western Europe (specifically the Netherlands, if possible). I hold a Masters degree, with 10 yrs teaching experience (5 years in IB schools). I have taught both as a classroom teacher, as well as Special Ed. (Primary). I have a trailing spouse (From the EU) and 2 children. I know the benefits won't be as good as in Asia, yet are looking at moving closer to family.

Thanks
J
jack4397

Re: chances of landing a teaching job in W Europe

Post by jack4397 »

Chances of landing a job are high, Chances of that job paying a reasonable amount, giving your kids 100% off tuition and covering any post-Brexit visa fees you may have to pay are low.
jboeh2

Post by jboeh2 »

Thanks @jack4397

My wife and kids both hold passports from the Netherlands. I'm not sure if that would help lessen the tax burden. These factors have kept us from moving to Europe, yet we'd really like to settle there, so might just take what comes...
Verano

Post by Verano »

Some public schools in the Netherlands are starting to be PYP schools. If you’re not picky, I think you will be able to get a job without a problem. My friend who is Dutch told me that since Dutch schools are looking for teachers, it should be easy to find a teaching job.
jboeh2

Post by jboeh2 »

Thanks @Verano

Would the PYP schools be taught in English? I'd prefer an international school where my children could also attend. But with that said, we'd consider all options. I'm assuming the local Dutch school might have other visa procedures.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

There are a few international schools outside the 'Randstad' area (which covers amongst others of Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam, Utrecht). International teacher will prefer schools that are in this Randstad area, so your chances will improve if you give schools in other parts of the country a shot.
I know there's one in Arnhem called 'Rivers' and probably one in Eindhoven (since it's a Brainport area with lots of expats), and Maastricht might have one as well (there's a UWC there, but maybe another 'regular' international school as well).
The pay will be a lot lower though, maybe about the same as what local teachers are paid, and be sure to do your research into the quality of the schools.
There's also a boarding school in the East of The Netherlands, but I heard it's crap, so I'd avoid that one for sure.
PsyGuy

Respnse

Post by PsyGuy »

Not that great, but having an EU passport helps a great deal. The main problem is that to teach in the DE market you need to be very competent in Dutch. This, if you arent than you are limited to a small handful of ISs with English delivery. With your resume though youre competitive.