Timeline After Applying

camelgirl

Timeline After Applying

Post by camelgirl »

Hi everyone! I was just wondering about what to anticipate in terms of a timeline after applying to schools. I know it's still early right now, and many schools on SEARCH have a deadline of November or even December. Do the schools typically stick to these deadlines, and I shouldn't expect to potentially hear anything until after these deadlines have passed? Or is it common for schools to reach out for an interview before that deadline if they're interested? Just trying to manage my nerves and anxiety over here! I hate the waiting game.
Ntmya5

Re: Timeline After Applying

Post by Ntmya5 »

I asked my Search associate recently. They said the wait time is usually 10 business days.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I wouldn't hold to what Search said. Schools are gung-ho to collect CVs as early as possible along the way, but some will act on files they are excited about right away...others will collect but then wait until their "deadline" to see what they've go to work with. My experience is that if you are really interesting to them, you'll hear pretty quickly (we just were contacted 6 hours after we submitted an application--and we just got a "no thanks" 2 weeks after applying to another school). Mentally, we apply at schools we are really interested in, and then we need to shake it off--we've done our part, and as much as we might love a school, we ned to keep moving on and applying. We can't wait for a school to respond.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

To be honest - there is not specific answer to this question.

Some schools will interview as soon as they receive a viable candidate. Some schools will wait until the deadline and then review then. Others will do it when they feel like it.

I've even seen school advertise to get resumes and use it as a bargaining tactic to get a teacher to sign on for another year. Remember that it does not cost anything to receive and review resumes on Search - but the payment occurs once the job has been filled BY SEARCH.

Note that I don't see anything wrong with your question - just that there is not a specific correct answer to your question.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Immediately to never. The rule is when an IS wants you they act like they want you. So if an IS has a vacancy and you seem like a unicorn they will contact you ahead of whatever timelines they have established. That also means that there are ISs that will screen until their deadline and wont review resumes until after it. There are a lot of ISs that if they arent interested in you, you will never hear from them.
sid

Post by sid »

How long is a piece of string.
Personally I have been recruiting long enough that I know a good applicant when one comes in, but I also know that it is easier to identify the best candidates when I'm looking at a bunch of CVs side by side. So I might act quickly for a stellar CV on its own, or I might wait to gather a pool if there are good ones but nothing stands out yet. Or it might be fall break, or a week with a string of back to back meetings, oe a bunch of Covid cases keeping me busy, so I never even get to look and see what's there. And some recruiters I know never touch applications until the deadline. Frankly I think they're nuts, but it's their call. Some lesser schools jump as fast as possible on any applicant because their only hope is to snatch people up before other schools get a chance.
Don't read much into the response time. Shorter is usually good, but not always. Longer is usually not great, but not always.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

One issue some leaders/recruiters have is their requirement to comply with labor rules and regulations that mandate a certain period of time that they must advertise a vacancy either in general or before they are permitted to recruit an expat. Sure, there are ways around this, but for some leaders/recruiters who want to stay above board its just easier and less of a headache to follow the rule/regulation.