What would I be most suited for? Middle East jobs

Latifasayedali

What would I be most suited for? Middle East jobs

Post by Latifasayedali »

Hi,
I have 10 years of experience in teaching. I was interested in applying for roles internationally, specifically in the Middle East. I wanted some advice regarding what my options are most likely to be, considering what my qualifications and experiences are..
I have a bachelors degree in Health Sciences, which is more focused on Biology than the other sciences.
I have completed my TEFL and will be starting my CELTA and DELTA right after.
I also have my Diploma in Education and Training and a QTLS. I have also got my assessors course (CAVA).
I currently work as the director of studies at my further education centre and as an NVQ assessor in Diploma in Education and Training.
I have had experience in teaching Biology, ESL, Functional skills and teacher training.
Currently trying to populate my CV with as many CPDs as possible.
What would be the most lucrative field for me to pursue? Is there a particular salary I should be negotiating? Very new to this, so I'd like to do it right and well! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
shadowjack

Re: What would I be most suited for? Middle East jobs

Post by shadowjack »

CELTA and DELTA won't do much at international schools. At a university level in Saudi, say, it would open doors.

Make Biology and English your main areas. As to negotiating salary - good schools won't negotiate. Bad schools will, but once you are there you'll realize why they did, and regret it. Think that you are responsible for the students returning any of the textbooks issued them, and if not returned, you will pay for them. Or being told to change grades. Or having parents talk to the principal and all of a sudden you are reassigned to teaching Science 6 and 7.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

What more precisely is your teaching experience?
I get the impression youre much more an ESOL ET than you are a biology DT.

This is one of the unusual times not having an ESOL certificate such as a CELTA DELTA would be disadvantageous not having one, but for the vast majority of purposes a CELTA/DELTA isnt an IE credential. It would be unusual though for a British IT with QTLS in the ESOL field not to have something like a CELTA/DELTA.

I disagree with @SJ. The most lucrative option for you is leadership in an ES or ESOL in an IS. Doesnt matter, but youre likely to find better coin in ESOL than in IE.
Latifasayedali

Re: What would I be most suited for? Middle East jobs

Post by Latifasayedali »

Thank you for your responses, sorry for taking so long to acknowledge the messages and to respond.
You are right, yes @PsyGuy, you are right in that my experiences are more in the ESL and teacher training fields, although my degree is science based.

Lately I have been toying with the idea of setting up a training centre? I don't know if I'm out of my depth here and how realistic it is, but I run a college here and have approval from an international awarding body to run teacher training courses that are at University level (4 and 5). If I am honest with myself, that is where my passion lies and it is something I would love to continue doing abroad. I am not sure what their stance is over in the ME with regards to an expat opening up a centre and whether that is even in demand over there.
If not, maybe joining an existing college?

If all else fails then at least my back up would be to just teach EFL and to finish off my CELTA whilst I'm still in the UK.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Biology is the least in demand and the most saturated of the sciences. There are a lot of ITs/DTs that didnt make med/vet/den school a reality or who realized to late that they were never going to make a living as a wild life or marine biologist with a bachelors/first degree, and the only way they could monetize their degree was in K12/KS edu.

That entity already exists its called the British Council, they have offices throughout the ME.
There are others who have put out a shingle in the ME, and rules and regulations vary by country but its not really that hard to do. The limiting factor is coin, you need a non-insignificant amount to qualify for an investor type/category visa and youre essentially going to need a local partner because you dont know how to do anything and at some point your going to need someone with cachet to execute contracts.

Joining a college/Uni/tertiary institution without a Doctorate or even a Masters, not for anything other than teaching ESOL. How does that work you tell them you have a training center and they make you a dean or something and give you your own division or department? The only way I see that happening is if some shady institution is using you until they dont need you anymore.

Why the wedding cake though, start with a cupcake. Getting an ESOL job in the ME is easy. Get a residence you can convert a portion of into a classroom and start from there with your own ES or tutoring hustle. As you build a roll and a bank account you can grow and expand into a learning center that provides whatever you want it to be.

The other option is if you can do what your doing virtually/online/distance and you can effectively be a remote consultant than you can typically get a business type/category visa and relocate to the ME.