DC license through Moreland - PD for license renewal and transferring license.

jclaire

DC license through Moreland - PD for license renewal and transferring license.

Post by jclaire »

Hello all,

I am in the process of getting PD hours to renew my DC license through Moreland University. The requirements for renewing a license in DC are quite vague and not exactly the easiest as they require 120 hours of PD of which 60 are relevant to one's field of licensure. As I am an international teacher and plan to be international for the rest of my career, I have 2 questions that I am hoping to get help with:

1. What PD have you used to get 120 hours that are accepted by DC?
2.Has anyone transferred their teaching license to another state recently and what states are most ideal for IT? (I am not eligible for QTS)

Many Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not really vague at all, DC has one of the most flexible renewal programs. There are three pathways to renew, one of them (performance evaluation) is only available if you teach in DC. Of the other two pathways retaking the exam is the least coin and a day maybe a weekend (if you have to travel) in time. DC uses the PRAXIS so the exams are available globally, though you might have to travel to a more metropolitan city.
The PD pathway is pretty straightforward and compared to other states are rather lenient. You need 12 contact hours half of those (60) must be directly related to the subject area of the credential you are renewing. If you are a literature teacher a workshop on Readers/Writers Workshop would meet part of those specific 60 PD hours. A workshop on PBL would more likely meet the other 'general' 60 PD hours.

The PD hours can be from any PD training offered by a local, regional, national, international, trade, professional, or occupational organization. You need a certificate or letter from them, and the organization needs to be available on a web search and look somewhat professional.
You can also use PD offered by your IS or associate organization. In this case you need a transcript from your HOS on letterhead signed/sealed. The important issue with this is that its got to be instruction related. An hour long seminar on Friday after school on creating rubrics is absolutely fine. What isnt fine is an after school Friday staff meeting that includes a brief lecture on what everyone is doing wrong with their rubrics. Staff meetings and meetings in general are essentially not accepted. ITs have kept logs of staff meetings, had their principal sign it, and then submitted for most of their PD with the result being their renewal is denied.

A lot of online training mostly. Providers like Coursera are common. You could power through all 150 hours in a couple of months over a single summer for the cost of 2 months of subscription, but similar providers are also acceptable.It really depends what you teach. If your a PHE IT (or performing arts IT) for example NFHS offers a lot of free courses that result in certificates for activities involving classic sports to music, dance, theater, etc. Even a literature IT could likely use their "Understanding Copyright and Compliance" course for PD, and many of the courses are free.
OSSE also provides its own web based PD training. You can find the entry portal here:
https://osse.dc.gov/page/teaching-and-l ... ortunities
The schedule of courses is available here:
https://octo.quickbase.com/db/bj339wdds?a=q&qid=33
The course number is small and tends to be repetitive but if you meet the registration requirements they are free and every bit contributes.
Acceptable PD has also included activities such as You Tube videos with appropriate titles offered by professional organizations that are recorded on a transcript verified by the ITs principal.

Moreland is a lot of coin, 3 courses from UPe would cost you about USD$750 and give you about 135 PD hours.

Assuming you dont want to downgrade from a professional grade to an entry grade credential:
1) CA is the gold standard in IE curriculum. The CLEAR (professional grade) credential requires renewal every 5 years but there is no PD requirement. The primary challenge requires you to apply with a ESOL credential/endorsement. You can obtain this through DC by taking the appropriate PRAXIS exams, adding the endorsement and then applying.
2) NJ offers a true lifetime credential, and the process 'fails safe', as all of their credentials are non-expiring even if you dont meet the requirements (mainly that IE experience may not be acceptable for the experience requirement of the Standard credential).
3) WA offers a Standard credential similar to the MA scheme where its valid for 2 years but its two years of employment in WA, effectively being a lifetime credential. Their requirements, mainly professional testing, are very flexible, and they would accept your PRAXIS exams.
4) IL offers a Standard credential and currently has exemptions to the PD requirement for ITs not working in IL. This is set to change in the future, but it might be a more distant future. The process is relatively simple, if you have a comparable credential (of which the DC standard or former regular credential are) they are accepted for a comparable IL credential.
Amusing User Name

Re: DC license through Moreland - PD for license renewal and transferring license.

Post by Amusing User Name »

That is clear and helpful advice. Thank you.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I could have been more consistent on the use of 120 hrs. of PD for renewal as opposed to the typos for 150 hrs. etc.