Salary Expectations 10 years experience Middle East

freetofly2022

Salary Expectations 10 years experience Middle East

Post by freetofly2022 »

I've become skeptical about the offers that I've gotten and I negotiating is something that I try to do. Question. What is the salary range for someone like me with 10 years experience at say a top tier or second tier school in the Middle East. Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Kuwait even maybe Jordan. What should I be NEGOTIATING for per year, per month.
marieh

Re: Salary Expectations 10 years experience Middle East

Post by marieh »

A top tier school isn't going to negotiate much, if at all, since they have set salary scales based on education/experience. You might be able to get an additional step, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It doesnt really matter as I concur with @marieh. First tier ISs have open comp scales and they arent going to really negotiate. You can bring to their attention you have this, have done that, are dong this and negotiate that those things are worth a step or two but there isnt going to be much back and forth emails over comp and salary. Beyond that, youre more likely to see flexibility over comp benefits than you are salary.
freetofly2022

Post by freetofly2022 »

Thank you all for a response but I am seeking an actual number to start from and end from. What should I be getting for an actual salary per year? Thank you.
popgirl

Post by popgirl »

freetofly2022 wrote:
> Thank you all for a response but I am seeking an actual number to start
> from and end from. What should I be getting for an actual salary per year?
> Thank you.

Around $4k to $5k after tax per month, with accommodation, flights and some kind of bonus on top.
freetofly2022

Post by freetofly2022 »

What type of bonus are you referring to? How much if money? Is a sign on bonus a standard thing to ask for?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@freetofly2022

If we define top tier as first tier and we exclude the Kingdom, where you could be pushing 6 figures there, at 10 years with an advanced degree youre looking at $5K-$6K net coin but even with a first degree/bachelors youre closer to the $5K than you are $4K. The issue is the salary cap, even first tier ISs in the ME tend to have a salary cap, where youd be eligible for a higher salary but the highest you can come in on is going to be lower than your 10 year experience step. Some ISs wont budge on it, some will, some will give you credit for the extra steps on renewal at a certain point and some never will.
This would also include a housing benefit which you may be able to monetize a portion of it as an allowance, some ISs make you accept their housing at least your first year or contract period. It would also include a relocation allowance, flights, shipping allowance, which they may offer or give if asked a shopping allowance. A settling in allowance is also not uncommon. A bonus or gratuity is also pretty common.

Its usually an extra (thirteenth month) salary dismemberment. Sometimes you only get it if you renew and if you return. Lower tier ISs actually divide your salary by 13 months and withhold the extra and possibly the last months disbursement on your return. Sometimes when you hit a certain threshold (such as X years service) the bonus increases from a 13th month to a 14th month (or some multiple or portion of additional months).
A signing bonus isnt really a thing and practically non-existent. There are some settling allowances that are generous but nothing like a signing bonus where you return the contract and they remit some amount of coin to your bank account.
popgirl

Post by popgirl »

freetofly2022 wrote:
> What type of bonus are you referring to? How much if money? Is a sign on
> bonus a standard thing to ask for?

Often around 10% - but it depends.

It's also very unlikely to be a sign on bonus. More likely a completion of contract bonus or 'pension contribution'.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The usual bonus is 1/2 months salary for every year of service. In the old days, it used to be one month's salary for every year of service. I think one or two GCC states still have this, but most moved to 1/2 month per year.

Some schools also have a retirement plan in addition to the mandated legal gratuity.