Moving to Egypt in 3 Days!

themeleks

Moving to Egypt in 3 Days!

Post by themeleks »

We're off to Alexandria on Thursday. Just wondering if any of you who are there or have been there have any suggestions as to things to pack that I might overlook. Are there certain comforts of home that are hard to get or expensive over there?

And thanks to everybody for all the advice in the past. This is our first overseas assignment. We're nervous, but excited.
specialed

Post by specialed »

Food coloring, immodium and benadryl come to mind. I have head stories of them being available, but no one can actually find them when they look.

PS It is very hot now so be prepared. However, you are going to have so many travel opportunities - like going to the Red Sea, the pyramids around Cairo, Luxor, Nile River Cruises, desert camping, and the list goes on...
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

Liquid vanilla is difficult to find. Mostly you get a powdered white stuff which does NOT do the trick.

I'm trying not to confuse Egypt and Saudi Arabia, where I was before. I know I had trouble finding shredded coconut in Saudi. When I did find it, it was loose in the spice shop and had absorbed the taste of the surrounding spices. NOT what you want in a cake, let me tell you.

If you cook with Lipton Recipe Secrets, bring them with you. They are also hard to get. And I know most US women have quit wearing panty hose, but you won't find any in Egypt.

Check on medications. Those that do not have generic equivalents, such as Requip, are not available. Others are available OTC that NEVER would be here, like Clonazepam.

Alexandria is a nice place. It doesn't have the pollution problems of Cairo, and is a reasonable train ride away. Enjoy your adventure!
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

Cream of Tartar... to mix with white frosting if you want to make gingerbread houses during the holidays with your students. Can't remember what grades you guys teach as I haven't been on this site in a while. Will be checking though to see how you like Alexandria. Safe travels. :)