Cost Effective Online Masters at ACE

ExpatinAsia99

Cost Effective Online Masters at ACE

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

Does anybody have an experience with the American College of Education (ACE) education programs?

https://www.ace.edu/programs/education-programs

They seem quite cost effective at around USD$9500.

I searched the forum and some UK universities are mentioned i.e. Keele, Bath, Sunderland, Nottingham, ranging from GBP8000-13,000. Also, some Australian universities, though the costs for these seem very high even when accounting for the currency exchange rate.

Any other suggestions for cost effective online Masters programs I should look into?
TeachHereTeachThere

Re: Cost Effective Online Masters at ACE

Post by TeachHereTeachThere »

I got my Masters of Education at ACE a few years ago. I really liked the platform and the whole program. And it is recognized for teaching in public school boards in Canada.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not really. Not for USD$9500 and a Uni thats in a business park. For less than that coin you could go to a real Uni like Uni. Leeds Beckett for £7000 in their MA Edu. or for even less at £5400, Uni. Portsmouth has an MA Learning and Teaching. For a little more theres Uni. Portsmouth with their M.Res Edu for £7600, then there is their M.Sc in Ed.Ld for £8100. If youre looking for a comparable Uni as ACE then there is UPe at USD$4K (half the cost of ACE) and their IB affiliation is equivalent to an IB T&L certificate.
teachingoverseas16

Post by teachingoverseas16 »

ExpatinAsia99 wrote:
> Does anybody have an experience with the American College of Education
> (ACE) education programs?
>
> https://www.ace.edu/programs/education-programs
>
> They seem quite cost effective at around USD$9500.
>
> I searched the forum and some UK universities are mentioned i.e. Keele,
> Bath, Sunderland, Nottingham, ranging from GBP8000-13,000. Also, some
> Australian universities, though the costs for these seem very high even
> when accounting for the currency exchange rate.
>
> Any other suggestions for cost effective online Masters programs I should
> look into?

I did a masters through ACE and it depends what you’re looking for. If you just want the degree to say you have it and get a pay increase, it’s great. If you’re looking to really learn something, I’d go elsewhere. The readings in the courses were shockingly outdated and they taught many strategies and ideas that were the opposite of best practice. It was easy and not too time consuming, though!
ExpatinAsia99

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

Thanks for the information. I'll look into those.

What is UPe? I've not heard of it. Though I work in IB already, so have experience there, plus I have many IB workshops under my belt already.
shteve90

Post by shteve90 »

Apologies for crashing this thread but I noticed Uni of Buckingham have a MEd in Leadership for £5040 in total. I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of this course versus the one at Uni of Portsmouth. Does anybody have experience with these universities? Is Portsmouth worth the extra £3000?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@ExpatinAsia99

UPe = University of the People.
https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/ed/de ... /overview/
USD$3960 will get you an M.Ed with one specialization. Its a joint program in cooperation with the IB. The degree meets the PD requirements for authorization. Its cheaper than any of the other IB Uni based programs that offers a T&L certificate. There isnt much IB in it though and the courses in general arent any better than those offered by ACE but its half the cost and there is that IB affiliation. About half the work is peer evaluated, and many of the students are not NES. Its so cheap because the faculty are adjunct volunteers (they get a small honorarium per course of about USD$1000) and all the materials are open edu resources.
cms989

Post by cms989 »

shteve90 wrote:
> Apologies for crashing this thread but I noticed Uni of Buckingham have a
> MEd in Leadership for £5040 in total. I am trying to weigh up the pros and
> cons of this course versus the one at Uni of Portsmouth. Does anybody have
> experience with these universities? Is Portsmouth worth the extra £3000?

Portsmouth is what you make of it. Most of the courses are like wikipedia pages then you decide what to research and write about. Sometimes some direction is given in terms of topic but there is a lot of freedom to choose. I think recently there has been some effort to beef up the offering with seminars and whatnot. I would imagine most UK unis are going to be really similar in terms of resources and experience.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@shteve90

Were talking online Masters edu programs, there is a whole lot more common to the method of delivery than there is in institutional differences and quality. Webpages, eBooks, videos (YouTube, Khan, etc.), forums, digital white boards, writing papers, and projects (slide shows, etc.), what else is there that fits into an LMS. Face Time (Zoom, etc.) with a tutor or text based chat with said same tutor is the biggest difference that matters.

There is nothing worth anything more from Portsmouth. The Portsmouth degree is Teaching (C&I) the Buckingham is Ed.Ld. An advanced degree should do more than get you in a classroom even if you arent in a classroom. Ed.Ld will add more to your resume than a C&I degree.