Strategies for teaching math to ELL students

cookies4u

Strategies for teaching math to ELL students

Post by cookies4u »

I'm hoping to get some input from the collective experience of this forum about effective strategies for teaching math to ELL students - particularly at the middle/high school level, but also interested in input for younger ages.

In my experience, when the English level is not too much lower than normal, it's usually sufficient to just emphasize vocabulary a tad more without modifying the lesson that much. But what if you're teaching a Pre-Calc class where it's normal for students to either not know or forget the difference between, say, the words 'division' and 'multiplication'? What is your approach to situations like these? Strategies, tips, tools, etc. - all ideas welcome.
Just Me

Re: Strategies for teaching math to ELL students

Post by Just Me »

Having clear language objectives for each lesson in addition to content objectives. Providing students with sentence frames. Modeling the target language. Pre-teaching the necessary vocabulary. Providing students with opportunities to use the target language either in a written form or orally such as think pair share.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

Is the goal the maths, the language or both?