Employer doesn't show up to scheduled online interview, what do you think happened?

MusicTravel30

Employer doesn't show up to scheduled online interview, what do you think happened?

Post by MusicTravel30 »

I have had this happen three times in my 10+ years doing interviews.

The first time I got an email very quickly after the scheduled interview. They apologized profusely and said they suddenly and unexpectedly became swamped. The interview was rescheduled and I had it and everyone was nice and they again said they were very sorry. How they explained the situation made complete sense to me.

The second time I got an email a day or two later. They were very honest and said the prior interview was very long and they ended up taking the candidate that had an interview just before me. I assume they were further along in the interview process and the other teacher gave a verbal commitment. Maybe I was a "back-up" of sorts, another interview in case the person prior to me did not take the job. I assume they ceased all interviews immediately after the position was filled, but who knows.

This latest time, the school was, initially, very prompt with emails and always very polite. But when it came time for the scheduled interview I waited in the waiting room for 25 minutes, they never showed up. They did not respond to my follow-up email. What do you think could have happened? Has it ever happened to you? The first two times I learned right away what happened. I think it makes sense that schools can not respond to all emails. But once you reach the interview stage, shouldn't they respond regardless? Just my opinion.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

No.
Most ISs do HR poorly, and many leaders just dont care what ITs think of them, either:
1) They had an unexpected crises, and they may contact you at a later time. Emergencies happen.
2) Their recruiting situation has changed. They may have identified a candidate and made an offer, and they are waiting for acceptance or some other aspect of the negotiation process. The IT may decline and they may want to come back to you as a potential backup. As such they feel its safest for them and in their interests to say nothing and come back later reschedule the interview, all buying them time.
3) They dont want you and they dont want a confrontation. They dont know how you will react and there really isnt any tangible benefit for them.
4) They consider you human resources meaning youre a resource and you just happen to be of the human species (as opposed to bovine). They just dont care, and you only exist when they need something from you, until then you arent worth their time.
seinfeld

Re: Employer doesn't show up to scheduled online interview, what do you think happened?

Post by seinfeld »

You dodged a bullet, that's what happened!
buffalofan

Re: Employer doesn't show up to scheduled online interview, what do you think happened?

Post by buffalofan »

Consider it a bullet dodged.

One thing has been true for every job I've had (teaching or otherwise) - pay attention to how you are treated at the interview stage because you aren't going to be treated better than that if you take the job.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

There is another breed of admin who will treat you so well during the interview and share great stories about their school's accomplishments and collaborative spirit. Fast forward six months or a year and report a genuine problem, instead of addressing the issue, they will start excusing themselves citing a technicality or logistical issue. These are the so-called admin who have a 'glowing' CV with headship at tier 1 schools, but some of them simply lack the creativity and raw intelligence to troubleshoot.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @buffalofan, how a leader treats and acts towards an IT during the selection (interview) process is likely the best the IT can expect in the future. Be weary of ISs that use third . recruiters, it can indicate a leader who doesnt interview well due to underlying issues.
Heliotrope

Re: Discussion

Post by Heliotrope »

Sometimes the behavior of a leader during the interview is an indicator, sometimes it's not. Same with teachers.
If it matches the things I've heard about them, it's definitely an indicator. But sometimes it's very different to what I've heard about them from reliable sources (teachers working for them), and I chalk it up to sleep deprivation (I've heard of someone falling asleep during the interview) or other factors.
I will always research anyone I'm going to interview with. First impressions can tell you a lot, but I prefer to combine it with experiences from people working for them.
However, if a leader hits on a teacher they're interviewing, makes racists jokes, or equally awful things, I'd 100% take it as a sign to look elsewhere and to share the experience on the ISR forum.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, behavior is always an indicator. That @Heliotrope dismisses it does not make it dismissible.
That approach is highly flawed, your presumption is that any and all issues are going to be for the most part universally known in the IS, when the reality is that most issues are between an individual or a very small number of ITs and leadership. An IT being sexually harassed is not generally going to be common knowledge.
A leader who is sleep deprived is not exercising good judgement, thats a problem.
Many problems do not make it to ISR.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

Sometimes it isn't. That @PsyGuy doesn't dismiss it doesn't mean it can't be dismissed.
My approach is to base my decision on multiple data points: the experiences of several teachers who work or have recently worked for the interviewer in a role similar as mine. I doubt my single experience during the interview outweighs these combined experiences, unless something really serious happens during the interview (as in the interviewer hits on me, makes racists jokes, etc.). Some recruiters can make a great impression, but if the people working for them tell me alarming stories and are warning others off, I would reconsider. I know from experience it can also be the other way around. For all the schools on my current short list I know at least one person working there that I can approach, so I don't have to rely on the 20 minutes of the interview to form an opinion - even though a first impression can sometimes be very telling.
You can do it differently though.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, behavior is always an indicator. That @Heliotrope dismisses it does not make it dismissible.

My approach is to evaluate based on my observations, we must judge by our own experience. Im not interested in substituting the opinions of others for what I experience myself, or see with my own eyes or hear with my own ears.
Falling asleep during an interview demonstrates all kinds of poor judgment, its very serious.

We disagree.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Yes, we disagree.