Hawaii is no longer useful for non US trained teachers

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@formershark

You may want to seriously consider moving the HI credential somewhere like NJ, WA, or MA before surrendering it.
Otherwise youre not using it, you didnt do much to get it, and you still are an EPP/ITT completer.
The issue is of course what if some day you need a US credential because something happens either with QTS, some ministry, a visa, a job, etc.?
'Leaving education and unable to complete PD', since HI system is based on competencies instead of time units.
chemteacher101

Re: Hawaii is no longer useful for non US trained teachers

Post by chemteacher101 »

Here's my two cents: you can transfer to Illinois quite easily and then surrender your HI license.

Also, why surrender it before they even contact you? Chances are they won't contact you unless you are trying to renew it or similar.

Finally: if you surrender it, it will not result in disciplinary action nor will it be reported to NASDTC. This does show that it's better to surrender it if approached by HTSB. But again, first transfer it to s different state. IL works well...
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

The advice of @chemteacher101 is not very good. IL is the place you park a credential when youre really short on time and you have application documents ready to go. Its the kind of option where you have a month to obtain a credential because your current or previous renewal one was denied or you didnt do the PD. Otherwise IL requires PD like most other locations every 5 years. With that requirement youre better off taking the day or so to redo credentialing exams or add endorsements to meet requirements for a lifetime or effective lifetime credentials. CA would be a better option, its the gold standard in IE and while its a 5 year credential there is no PD requirement.

The reason to surrender before contact is because once they contact you then it becomes a case of surrender to avoid a disciplinary action. Though the point is a poignant one that there likely is some not insubstantial amount of time.

If the surrender occurs at the time of HI inquiry it is likely to result in a disciplinary action and be reported with NASDTC
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

HI confirmed to me in writing, after contacting me, that those surrendering the license when approached would not be reported to NASDTC. When they do contact you, you have 30 calendar days.

Also, IL provides exemption of PD to those not employed in IL public schools. Also confirmed by them in writing.

As to PsyGuy's comments, as they say in my country (loose translation): if you were to say you have a question about antique Chinese screws, he would claim he is an expert on that too.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Your HI document in writing means nothing. Its not binding, its not a contract, or an agreement. HI put lots of things in writing with Teach Now, and none of them mean anything. Further your claims in writing mean nothing compared to the LWs original post.

IL doesnt provide exemptions. The PD requirement simply applies to edus who teach FT in IL charter DSs and working in any capacity as a classroom DT in a IL public/maintained DS. Thats changing though, the IL DOE has a difficult time monitoring how much contract time counts against the credential. They are moving to a fixed 5 year credential.

For the original LW IL would have been an option if they had gotten there before HI began its inquiry, it could have bought them some time, as to the OP they have better options for actual lifetime and effective lifetime credentials.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

@PsyGuy

Thanks for the clarification; I'm sure I'm better off believing this forum's know-it-all troll and complete anonymous stranger over the official letter I received from HTSB as well as the one from my IL ROE.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Your welcome.