Eligibility does not mean suitability

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

I assure you I am weighted by no such burdens. Though I take notice your appeal to authority amounts to a smattering vocabulary of Latin, and see no such citation of rule or standard that would enforce or compel such obligation upon me to do anything. All of which can be characterized in full as something that @Heliotrope wrote, which in summary can be dismissed as ~meh~.

Do pass my salutations onto Diogenes when he is sure to find you.
Heliotrope

Re: Discussion

Post by Heliotrope »

I'm very curious to hear which university accepted your unwillingness to provide sources to substantiate your claims and your 'because I said so'-attitude.
As a teacher I do hold myself up to at least the same standards I use for my students.
So happy to see you got your money's worth with that heavily discounted 'Greek philosophy for dummies' book, although given your past posts on this forum it seems you've only read the chapter on Diogenes.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Why would I concern myself with what some Uni thinks, they arent authorities.
Your students must find you insufferable, your negging is reminiscent of the 10 year old whining "prove it" to every response.
Im unfamiliar with the text you mentioned but I can appreciate your familiarity with it as being appropriate to your level of understanding.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Why would I concern myself with what some Uni thinks, they arent
> authorities.

I was referring to when you yourself were in university. Most of those who went there learned there that to make a point, you need to provide sources if you claim you have them. When I say 'most', I mean the ones that actually graduated.

> Your students must find you insufferable, your negging is reminiscent of
> the 10 year old whining "prove it" to every response.

I've heard I'm reasonably well-liked by students, but hey, you never really know. Also, I'm not in it to be liked, I'm in it to prepare them properly for their exams and beyond. Providing sources to back up your claims is part of that. So yes, they would -in a case like this- have to provide their sources of course. I'm fairly certain any teacher would expect them to.

> Im unfamiliar with the text you mentioned but I can appreciate your
> familiarity with it as being appropriate to your level of understanding.

Hey, you made a joke, good for you! It's the same joke I made, but still a solid effort.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, you need to be persuasive through ethos, logos, and pathos. There are many means and methods of persuasion. Logos is just one such pathway and a rather narrow road at that.

Insufferable is not synonymous for dislike.

I dont have a degree of comedic talent and youre not funny.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

> No, you need to be persuasive through ethos, logos, and pathos. There are
> many means and methods of persuasion. Logos is just one such pathway and a
> rather narrow road at that.

Sure, you can be persuasive in various ways, but if you say there's proper data behind a claim you make, every university will ask you to disclose your source(s). No ethos or pathos will help you get around that.

> Insufferable is not synonymous for dislike.

Again, I'm not in it to be liked, I'm in it to prepare them properly for their exams and beyond. Providing sources to back up your claims is part of that.

> I dont have a degree of comedic talent and youre not funny.

If you'd found me funny, I'd be worried.

Luckily @sid already answered the OP's question in the first reply, because we're going way off-topic here, and as usual we've started to repeat ourselves a few comments ago.
I'll stop responding to this topic, and I'll let @PsyGuy have the last word.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Yes you can its done all the time.
Again, insufferable is not synonymous for dislike.
Fortunately, I already responded to the LWs inquiry.