Is one of these two admin licenses somehow preferable than the other?

chemteacher101

Is one of these two admin licenses somehow preferable than the other?

Post by chemteacher101 »

Short story: I want to tick the box of having an admin license. From my understanding, I can get one in Administrative services through Washington DC (I have a Masters, the required teaching experience and can take the required test).

If I'm correct, I could also get a "provisional" Superintendent license through MA, by taking one exam... This,.like the teaching provisional license, would not really expire unless I work in MA.

I'm not looking for the license to be a selling point for me (I have my M.Ed and CSML and experience for that), but rather just want to tick the box. In this context, would one of these licensed be somehow preferable than the other? Or not really?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends which advantages you are more interested in:

The DC credential is a Professional grade leadership credential, its less likely to disappear sometime in the future and has more utility in terms of credibility. However, it must be renewed requiring PD hours, the required exam is much more intensive and focused on leadership knowledge. DC doesnt have an executive level credential (since DC only has one executive level leader) the senior leadership credential is the highest credential.

The MA credential has a much easier exam (its the standard basic English literacy exam). The credential allows the holder to serve in executive leadership roles, but some ISs may delve deeper into the credential and feel that it isnt suitable by itself for senior leadership roles such as principal or assistant principal. However, the credential is an effective lifetime credential and there is no PD requirement.

The DC credential probably has more utility but the MA credential is easier to obtain and maintain. Both check some kind of leadership credentialing box.
chemteacher101

Re: Is one of these two admin licenses somehow preferable than the other?

Post by chemteacher101 »

Thanks.

Would it be accurate to say that, assuming the holder of the license has a M.Ed, something like CSML or PTC, and leadership experience at SLT level, then either of those would effectively have the same effect of ticking the box for schools requiring this as part of visa or work permit requirements?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

It wouldnt be inaccurate.
Here are the differing risks though. With the DC credential you run the risk your PD isnt accepted and your credential isnt renewed or youre tired of taking that credentialing exam every 4 years. With the MA provisional credential the risk is everything is going great and then MA changes the rules and suddenly your credential is restructured and now you have to renew it and do PD or worse its just dissolved.

In the vast majority of cases a degree, certificate (CSML, PTC, etc.), experience, responsibilities, titles, etc. has very little to do with visa or work permit requirements. Either the applicant meets the criteria or they dont. Ive seen leaders whose HOR doesnt have a specific leadership credential who were denied authorization for executive leadership who had degrees and experience. Ive also seen regions where a credential for leadership isnt even a thing and the relevant regulating authority only cares if the leader has a bachelors degree and thats the only check that matters.
Far more often than not leadership requirements are a preference or policy (same thing) of the ISs ownership and the "legal" requirements only go so far as holding whatever credential would be required of a classroom DT/IT. So in the vast majority of cases what ever box youre checking is going to be one on a list created by the IS not handed down from the ministry of a regulating authority.