Schools that hire a recruitment agency to interview teachers

shopaholic

Schools that hire a recruitment agency to interview teachers

Post by shopaholic »

This is for a new school in Dubai. There aren’t any reviews for the school because it is opening in 2022. Yes, it’s a rent-a-name for another reputable school that doesn’t have any rent-a-names anywhere else.

Is it a red flag that the school uses a UK recruitment agency to interview teachers? I haven’t ever heard of this practice and wonder if I’d get a chance to interview with the real school admin later if I made it to round 2. Has anyone else been interviewed by an agency for the school, and how did that turn out?

I know, I know. I’m getting a little panicky because I haven’t found anything this late in the recruitment season, so I don’t know exactly how choosy I can afford to be right now.
chemteacher101

Re: Schools that hire a recruitment agency to interview teachers

Post by chemteacher101 »

Which agency?
Teacher Horizons, for examples, does this all the time. Schools hire them to make the shortlist, thus the school only receives a handful of CVs and interview only a couple of candidates...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not uncommon in IE. Especially if the IS knows they arent going to have a really strong leadership team to start out with.
Typically the agency is just doing the screening and selection process in place of an ISs leadership or pro staff, which likely arent in place yet. While there are agencies that have full appointment authority, its preferred for the agency (for a variety of reasons) to provide the ISs leadership or ownership a short, short list (2-3 candidates) and let them make the appointment or interview and make the appointment.