Malaysia Salaries

froggle

Malaysia Salaries

Post by froggle »

How many ringgit per year total (salary + housing allowance if provided) is considered a good salary - enough for a single person to live comfortably, travel the South-East Asian region in the holidays (nothing luxurious, but to see what there is to see!), and save some money? Personal experiences and examples would be great :)
sid

Re: Malaysia Salaries

Post by sid »

Friends of mine have done all of that on 12,000 RM per month, all in, before taxes.
Other friends of mine would not find 12,000 RM per month sufficient. It's all in your lifestyle and what you consider appropriate.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In KL Id want RM20K/mth, gross, in total comp.
drosophila

Post by drosophila »

Gross 20k/month in KL would suffice for a family of 2-3. Most mid tier school would offer around 13-15K for expats but cost of living in KL is on the lower side if compare to Singapore but prices are picking up fast! Any salary less than 15K is not worthy in my opinion
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Don't forget for the first 180+ days you are taxed at the highest rate of over 30%.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

A family of 2-3 has about the same costs as a single person with an active social life (assuming the tuition/fee waivers/places have no cost for the IT).
On RM20K/mth your looking at RM6K in taxes, RM3K for housing (rent, utilities, mobile, transportation, etc.). Food is RM30/day or RM1K/mth. Thats half the coin for the basics. Put RM4K in savings, RM1K in my travel fund, RM1K in my emergency fund that leaves me RM1K/wk, half of thats pub coin for the week alone.