Search Job Fair Demise

sciteach

Search Job Fair Demise

Post by sciteach »

After experiencing the uselessness of one of the earlier Search Associates job fairs late last year - I decided to look at the list of schools which are attending for the 2022/23 school year. To be honest - it's starting to look like some free website's online fair which includes schools most of us have never heard of or are surprised are still on Search's books.

https://www.searchassociates.com/Job-Fairs/Default.aspx

How long do we think Search will attempt to continue Job Fairs if this is what's being attracted????

HINT - it's best not to mention specific schools here as this is the open forum....
buffalofan

Re: Search Job Fair Demise

Post by buffalofan »

Their model worked fine 10 years ago...it doesn't now. Whether it will work post-covid in normal situations remains to be seen.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

So I looked at one fair - there were 22 schools listed. I know of 18, and know folks who have worked at 10 of the 22. Personally, I would apply at 12 of them fairly happily.

Looked at the Global Fair running now - it specifically states it is for teachers NEW to International Teaching. There are 49 schools to talk to. Some of them are established, some are new. TBH - on Search's daily emails, I am seeing a TON of Chinese schools I have never heard of looking for staff. This is the result of China's lockdown. Schools that used to hire ESL/CELTA/TOEFL teachers are now having to hire certified teachers - OR, are now forced to expand how they search for their staff as China is really tough to get to these days.

The Bangkok Fair has 56 schools and I know of at least 36 of them. There are schools which might have been in Bangkok in person but are not at the virtual fair.

The London fair seems chock-a-block and it is in person.

In general, I am not seeing what you are seeing.
inchinanow

Post by inchinanow »

I have to agree with the OP, SA job fairs are no longer what they use to be since last century. Looking at the schools they have advertised for in China and cross reference with those schools on this sites database you wouldn't want to work for 95% of them reading the comments.

So many other Agencies have opened up and have taken market share away from SA and large multi school businesses have their own recruitment website to meet their needs.

Today SA is only one of many agencies I would use to find a suitable school and employment.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I guess my main problem was:

(1) I see a school from China/HK and my eyes gloss over them due to border restrictions
(2) Total numbers are significantly lower than pre-covid (normally around ~150 in BKK) and many of the better asian schools have already hired for many of the more difficult to employ positions if they were aware of movement.

I guess that I've got the opposite of rose tinted glasses. I do not see SA as being anywhere near over - but see job fairs (in it's current form) as close to defunct.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I think there are two issues here. 1 is the Search Fair. 2 is Search functionality. If you are only using Search for the fair, I think you are going about it the wrong way. I use Search primarily for its data base and daily updates. I try not to go to fairs.

As to your eyes glazing over, I know what you mean. I am seeing a ton of schools I have never heard of who are now using Search services. But that doesn't negate that the same schools as before are still using Search. But it is definitely an indication of how much China has been driving the teacher job market over the past twenty years.

But there are still top schools in SE Asia, Europe, Africa, the ME, and SA posting on Search. As many as in the past? I don't think so. But again, I also get the feeling from friends that many many people outside of China are choosing to stay put, which leads to fewer job postings. It's going to be two or three more years before a new 'normal' emerges.

Just my two halalas!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First, job fairs will remain as long as recruiters and leaders want them too. The position and feelings of ITs dont matter. ITs are the commodity, no body cares what the cow thinks. Fairs benefit recruiters by creating an artificial range restriction and benefiting from the not wanting to leave with nothing, even if the offers available are less than the ITs marketability. Second, SA associates benefit highly from fairs, they get more appointments during that short window of time then they do just waiting through the recruiting cycle, and those increased contracts generate increased placement fees.
angelica1981

Post by angelica1981 »

But where are you seeing a list of schools attending each fair? I can only see the locations, dates, and details of the fair. I don't see schools attending.
sid

Post by sid »

Are you a registered candidate?
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

angelica1981 wrote:
> But where are you seeing a list of schools attending each fair? I can only
> see the locations, dates, and details of the fair. I don't see schools
> attending.

Anyone can see the list of the schools that are attending the fair.
Go here and click on 'Schools Attending' on the left: https://www.searchassociates.com/intern ... k-january/
Not all fairs have this list yet, but thats just because that fair's list isn't available yet (to anyone).
angelica1981

Post by angelica1981 »

Heliotrope wrote:
> angelica1981 wrote:
> > But where are you seeing a list of schools attending each fair? I can only
> > see the locations, dates, and details of the fair. I don't see schools
> > attending.
>
> Anyone can see the list of the schools that are attending the fair.
> Go here and click on 'Schools Attending' on the left:
> https://www.searchassociates.com/intern ... k-january/
> Not all fairs have this list yet, but thats just because that fair's list isn't
> available yet (to anyone).

Thanks, I somehow missed that button. And the list for the fair that interested me is disappointing, at least compared to the last time I attended.
MamfeMan

Post by MamfeMan »

😂 That’s a whole lotta lousy schools.
expatscot

Re: Response

Post by expatscot »

PsyGuy wrote:
> First, job fairs will remain as long as recruiters and leaders want them
> too. The position and feelings of ITs dont matter. ITs are the commodity,
> no body cares what the cow thinks. Fairs benefit recruiters by creating an
> artificial range restriction and benefiting from the not wanting to leave
> with nothing, even if the offers available are less than the ITs
> marketability. Second, SA associates benefit highly from fairs, they get
> more appointments during that short window of time then they do just
> waiting through the recruiting cycle, and those increased contracts
> generate increased placement fees.

That only stands though if teachers still see the fairs as being important. If they don't, and so don't register, then inevitably the schools will walk away.

Unless, of course, Search are happy to recruit inexperienced teachers to schools which are not the best. And if it's ultimately about the money, then they will.
angelica1981

Post by angelica1981 »

MamfeMan wrote:
> 😂 That’s a whole lotta lousy schools.

I know! There are only a few schools that interest me, so no point going to the fair. Even if the fair happens.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

I see what youre getting at.
Even if your first statement was serious, it wouldnt be true. You cant realistically keep all the ITs away from fairs. ITs are fungible, recruiters will still go they like the trip, and some ITs will take the opportunity the fairs offer.