The only school *I* would consider working in...

tangchao

The only school *I* would consider working in...

Post by tangchao »

I see frequent comments from teachers here that go something like this: The only school *I* would consider working in in this country is (insert name of the elite first tier school in the country).

Is it really the case that there are teachers who have written the IB guide for physics and further mathematics here or do we have some people with some seriously inflated views of themselves?
sid

Re: The only school *I* would consider working in...

Post by sid »

I have written a couple of IB guides, but I don't think you've ever heard me make a declaration re "only" school I'd work in. (Full disclosure. IB guides are written by teams and are officially authored by the IB, not individuals. I've been on multiple teams.)
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

I can see how some teachers would say that about a great school that's happens to be in a country they're not interested in.
The less attractive a country is, the more picky you'll be about the school, especially since there are so many international schools in more attractive countries.
Quite a few years ago when I was looking for a new job I wasn't too interested in living in The Philippines (I'm still not - great country for travelling but the capital is not great for living imo), but for a certain school in Manila I would have been willing to move there because at that time many teachers would consider this school one of the best ISs in SEA. So that would have been the only school that I would have considered in The Philippines.
I have to add that I teach a shortage subject and have a well-rounded CV after years of teaching, so I usually have a good number of options and can afford to be a bit picky. I'd say I don't have an inflated view of myself, but I've been through enough recruitment cycles to have a realistic view of my chances. But at the start of my career I would have just jumped at any chance to work somewhere half-decent.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

If I want a balanced life, I'd consider to work at the oldest school in Toulouse, France. There is something I like about mid-sized schools, call it the tight knit community, small class sizes, not an overly commitment to extracurriculars etc. So, Toulouse it is for me. I also love the culture scene and food is something this town deeply cares about and it's hard to find a bad restaurant.
unsure

Post by unsure »

tangchao wrote:
> I see frequent comments from teachers here that go something like this: The
> only school *I* would consider working in in this country is (insert name
> of the elite first tier school in the country).
>
> Is it really the case that there are teachers who have written the IB guide
> for physics and further mathematics here or do we have some people with
> some seriously inflated views of themselves?

No, it's probably more about the country and the quality of school. I (for example) have no real wish to live in China as I value the health of my lungs. I might be coaxed over there by an exceedingly large salary. Admittedly the kind of schools that pay those kind of salaries may have no wish to employ me, but nontheless, the only schools that would take me to China would be one that offered a ridiculously generous package. (I'm probably never going to China).
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Some people have been burned by for-profit schools or don't believe in the for-profit education model, and in some countries this is going to narrow your choice down to 1 school. Also if you have debts/mortgage back home in USD/GBP/EUR, etc., going for a school that is paying you in an unstable local currency probably isn't going to work. In some countries only the elite/embassy school is paying in hard currency.
inchinanow

Post by inchinanow »

Salaries in China going up ny a significant figure as teacher shortage hits. Salaries may become even generous after 1st January.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its more about ITs not wanting or even interested in certain countries and thus indicating some extremely high comp they would require to make the move to whatever country that is. That type of comp offer isnt likely to come from an IS that isnt the elite tier IS in that region.
jschott

Post by jschott »

Very hard to generalize about this. I don't know many teachers who have worked in more than a handful of schools in their entire career, so that says pretty much all you need to know.

Talk is cheap.