How are you all doing?

fine dude

How are you all doing?

Post by fine dude »

Hello all,

It has been over 2 months (or one in some cases) since the new school year started. I was wondering how many new initiatives your school has implemented and how it has impacted you, mentally and physically, so far. Without naming schools, how are you handling your new workload and what are you doing to keep your sanity? Apart from trying to avoid negative folks, I run long distances to beat some of this stress.
just.the.truth

Re: How are you all doing?

Post by just.the.truth »

This is a great question, and I'm surprised nobody has replied yet. I guess some people prefer to beef on here rather than check in with each other. We're all in this together, whether we know each other or not, so thank you finedude.

I have been trying to do more walking, and explore little pockets of the city I am in.

As far as initiatives go, our school doesn't really have any, which is concerning. To be honest, I really thought this pandemic would force them to revisit certain issues from even before, but it has only compounded them. It's been exhausting not having clear communication.

Things have definitely been a rollercoaster this year. Both teachers, and students are trying to find their groove again, after already adjusting to online learning. The biggest challenges I am personally facing, are the learned helplessness, and stunted maturity. Assigning work online was challenging because most of the time parents or tutors would do it for a lot of my students, so the year was a total wash in that regard. A teacher friend of mine posted a great meme to - the lacking maturity. Obviously, little to no socialization has taken place over the past year and a half for students and their peers, so you have to remember: if you are a year 4 teacher, your students are going to behave more like year 2 students, because that was their last physcial exposure to the classroom. I found it interesting, and poignant.

I think we're all a little frazzled and really need empathy more than ever for each other!

Cheers everyone :-)