Questions about timing

Simbenbin

Questions about timing

Post by Simbenbin »

I'm a veteran teacher thinking about teaching internationally, but not until the 24-25 school year. I know that's a long way from now - but I'm a planner.

Is there anything I can or should be doing to prepare before the hiring begins in late 2023?

More specifically, would there be a benefit to becoming a member of ISS, Schrole or Search at this point? Is there any other kind of networking or preparation that might be helpful this far out?

Also, I have lots of experience teaching AP, but none with IB. Is it worth getting an IB teaching and learning certificate (I have 20+ years of experience, a Master's in my field along with state teaching credentials)?

Thanks for any advice.
expatscot

Re: Questions about timing

Post by expatscot »

TBH, not really. Make sure your licenses are up to date, and that you're doing plenty CPD. Keep an eye on these boards, and also on places like TES to get a feel for what jobs are coming though and when - hopefully, by 2023 the market should be something more like normal so you're able to predict what's happening.

You could get the Cat 1 qualification for your subject in IB, but it's not essential ahead of getting a job, and if you do get it I'd leave it until nearer the time so it reflects what you'd be teaching immediately. What I would say is that while your AP experience will be valuable in teaching in an American school, if you want to get into IB then you could look now if an opportunity comes up in an IB school in the US.
sid

Post by sid »

Just be ready by August 2023. Hiring starts mid September these days, so get registered and references and cv etc etc all set up before that. It’s a lot of work to do it right.
PsyGuy

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

SAs fee covers 3 years so if you joined now youd be on your third year that youd be recruiting on, that would give you a couple years to see whats out there at least in the SA bubble. What youd do with that is hard to tell really. You could go to a fair and just network, treat any interviews as practice. Practically I dont see a whole lot of value, but youre a planner so maybe it matters to you.

At SLL all the IE curriculum are highly congruent, if you know the content for AP than you wont have a problem with the content at A* or DIP. The rule is no amount of training equals any amount of experience. T&L certificates are maybe worth something to one of the foundation IBWS but thats only respective to a candidate pool with little or no IB experience in it. Outside of that youll find HOSs of IB ISs that dont know anything about the IBs T&L certificates and they dont give much weight to them. They also tend to be expensive.

PD doesnt amount to much, if its something that gets you a certificate (like Google Educator) thats worth something, outside of that PD doesnt count or much in the recruiting process. Leaders and recruiters expect youre doing PD that maybe they ask a late question about it in the interview.

While a workshop is less costly in coin and time its not likely matter much. The ISs where it would make a difference are going to be so far below your expectations and comp requirements and at the upper tier ISs they arent going to give any merit to a workshop certificate.

Regular recruiting season creeps earlier and earlier right now it about mid October, early recruiting happens earlier, which you might be an eligible candidate for.
Simbenbin

Post by Simbenbin »

These responses were all very helpful. Thanks to you both.

Now I need to find out the name of a good person to request when I register for Search Associates. I've heard they vary quite a bit.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Simbenbin

You dont really request anyone. There is an online tool that you use based on location and other factors that determine which associate you work with. You can game it to some degree to get a desired associate. SA will never mail anything to you so theres a lot of flexibility.
Simbenbin

Post by Simbenbin »

Hmm. There doesn't appear to be a DM feature here - I'd be curious how you go about working the system and who is considered a "desirable" associate.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Simbenbin

PMs are disable on this forum.

Its nothing sophisticated when you click on new candidate youll get asked a series of question the first ones where are you located and you click through the options until you get to an associate but you can just click the back button or start over until you find an associate you want then register from that page. Its designed so that the system is fair for how much business the associates get. SA doesnt really mail anything though so you can claim to be where ever you want to.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

One thing to consider instead of IB courses is becoming an IB grader. That would fill some of the IB knowledge gap in a recruiter's mind.

I find the online courses not worth much, but the in-person courses are great. So if you want to spend that kind of money and if you are confident you want to work in an IB school, feel free to do that--but it won't be worth much for recruiting purposes. You would need IB experience, not a course, for it to be worth anything. Better to get the job and let the school pay for the official training.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Becoming an examiner isnt going to substitute for teaching experience, nor is it likely to fill in any knowledge gaps for differences in meds/peds/asst between IB and AP.

F2F onsite workshops can be hit or miss, some of them are done rather well, some of them are worse than online workshops.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

IB grader is not a substitute for IB teacher; nobody is saying it is. But given that the OP is not an IB teacher and wants to maximise their opportunities and appeal, this is a great option and certainly better than taking the stupid online course.

IB grader vs. not an IB grader--to a recruiter, it is a world of difference. The former knows what the IB wants and, when coupled with solid AP experience, is someone who can prepare students for the exam. At least to a recruiter. The other option is to simply say "I taught AP, I know nothing about the IB, and you can just trust that I can make the transfer." Most of us know that making the switch isn't hard, that good teaching is good teaching, and that there are really great teachers with no IB experience just as there are really awful IB teachers. Most reasonable recruiters know this, too--but they also need to hire the person who is the most likely to be a successful teacher and a good fit for their school. The fit is not always something in our control, but the more ways we can show a recruiter that we are able to do what will be asked of us, the better.

So yes, IB grader is yet another way you can demonstrate that you will be just fine with the switch from AP to IB. It's another way you can demonstrate that you are a low risk if you are asked to teach IB.

And some recruiters actually really love having IB graders.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> And some recruiters actually really love having IB graders.

Can confirm.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

No its not. Taking the stupid online workshop at least meets the ISs PD requirement, and potentially saving the IS coin. Its not a world of difference, being an examiner does nothing and means nothing. An IT can be just as knowledgeable about the IBs marking schemes regardless of being a grader or not. Being an IB examiner says I know the subject matter content for X regardless of the exam whether its IB, AP, IGCSE, A* which is the same claim an IT can make and not be an examiner.
Dont disagree with demonstrating to a recruiter/leader that the IT is going to be a good fit and adaptable, but IB examiner doesnt do that.

You can insert just about anything for Y into the claim "And some recruiters actually really love having Y".
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

We all knew PsyGuy was going to disagree with me simply because I made the statement.

OP, it's an option, and it is one likely to help more than the course. You also get paid for marking, so it may be something you want to do regardless. Or do both. Or neither. Your call. PsyGuy is going to argue, regardless of what anyone says, simply because it's me. No need for you to get involved in that ugliness or for us to drag this thread back into the mythical Japanese horseback teacher territory (ancient, deleted thread that was about PsyGuy wanting to claim I was wrong simply because it was me making the statements). Do what you will with the advice or wait for opinions from someone on here who is an actual administrator and recruiter ( maybe sid?) and not the stealth fair crasher (another ancient thread).

At the end of the day recruiting is about maximising your marketability and finding the right recruiter with the right opening at the right moment. Jobs can be simple math of "years of experience" or meeting someone in an elevator. There is no one-size approach.
sid

Post by sid »

Thanks for the mention TP. I weighed in near the beginning.
As for the grader question, yes, as a recruiter I prefer candidates with something extra, and being a grader would be a creative way of attaching to the IB. If you can do it, it could help. Most IB schools would welcome more people around with deep knowledge of IB grading practices.
However, becoming a grader without IB experience could prove tricky. I haven’t applied lately, but historically two of the hurdles are demonstrating IB experience and getting a recommendation from your IB Coordinator. Has that changed?