L2 Visa + Degree/PGCE -> USA License

Cufflad

L2 Visa + Degree/PGCE -> USA License

Post by Cufflad »

Hi all,

I am currently teaching in a Singapore British International School having studying a BA in Education and PGCE/QTS in the UK.

My husband has been offered a transfer to his Chicago office next June on an L1 Visa. This gives me the option of obtaining an L2 Visa which gives me the right to work in the USA.

I am reviewing whether I can get a US teaching license BEFORE I arrive in the US (prior to obtaining visa), so I can start applying for jobs immediately upon arrival.

Is this possible?

Am I correct in assuming the following steps:

1. Send me credentials to an Evaluation Service - I believe I need to get a course by course evaluation of both my Degree and PGCE

2. Send the evaluation to ISBE in Illinois. Are they going to require I have a visa to complete this step?

3. Fill any gaps with relevant courses. Again, can I access and complete these courses outside the US, without a visa, prior to arrival next June?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
chemteacher101

Re: L2 Visa + Degree/PGCE -> USA License

Post by chemteacher101 »

If there's any chance they require additional courses, it might be better to first get a license through HI, particularly if you have experience and can manage to get a standard license, and then request one from IL through reciprocity...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In direct reply to your inquiry.

1) Yes, the process starts with obtaining an NACES evaluation of your qualifications and credentials. The NACES can do a course by course evaluation which is what you want in this case.

2) Its possible, the key factor is your application with the IL DOE wont happen until you have secured a work visa and obtained a US SSN.

3) Its possible you will need additional coursework. It depends what youre credentialing area and endorsements you are seeking are. History/Social studies for example will require some coursework in American history. Whereas, Art isnt likely to require anything special or more beyond having a degree/major in the area.

3) You can complete the additional course requirements anywhere. A non-US Uni will require an NACES evaluation when you complete the courses. Most if any coursework deficiency though is likely to be unavailable outside a US Uni, as the likely courses are going to be very specific. As in the example above, youre not likely to find a US History course at a Uni outside the US though you are likely to find many online Unis offering the course by online or distance learning. Other courses, such as niche SEN/SPED/LD courses are either only going to be available in person or only available online by a very small number of Unis.

It wont be better to go though HI first. IL isnt a blind reciprocity state, this means that they do the same evaluation as they would regardless of credentialing status. A HI credential wont qualify you to teach in IL DSs anymore than your QTS will.