Need some advice

just.the.truth

Need some advice

Post by just.the.truth »

Hi everybody,
I need a little advice. I recently started at a school, where the HR has been a complete nightmare. There is too much to go into, so I will cover the main points as best as I can. They put me in an apartment with a leaky water tank, and cracks in the walls and ceiling, which were covered in mold. I should also mention it's reainy season where I am. It took them a month to move me to a better place, but only after going straight to the director of HR, and talking to my seciotn leadership. There were also issues setting up my bank account (which they let slide for the month as well), and paid me less than my contract stipulated. It was only a nominal amount, but after everything that was going on, and the fact that I had to go to the director every time, my patience was wearing thin.

To add insult to injury, the other teacher on my grade level has been, let's say, "less than welcoming". I don't think she likes change, and is self-addmittedly controlling. I have never been a "close my door" teacher, but that's what is happening. With everything going on, I have been really struggling to find out what is expected of me, and it doesn't feel like it's working. I am really grateful for having a job, but I don't feel like I'm a good fit. I have never resigned during my first 3 months, and I don't want to do that to the kids, but I am really reaching, and trying to hang in here.

Appreciate any and all advice...seriously.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

So does the new apartment meet your standards and expectations?
Have you gotten your full salary dismemberment (you should get every coin the IS is obligated to pay you, not a penny or pence less)? Is your bank account all set up?
If all of those have been resolved satisfactory, is your remaining HR issue that the ISs HOS/Director has/is the only avenue of effective recourse? If so are you suggesting that this phenomenon is indicative of a dysfunctional IS and working environment.

Honestly, its probably the side of @Sid, but if everything HR wise has been resolved, the issues you describe are fairly common adjustment issues, and given a global pandemic they arent unrealistic problems. Maybe there is a housing shortage and the IS just put you where they had availability and maybe the banking situation was again a result of the financial institution being short staffed (and somebody at the bank had to find the one person with the key to the chop or whatever)? If the nominal difference in your salary was a minor error and it was rectified, well humans are imperfect creatures and they make mistakes.

You mention two classroom issues one is a colleague who is less than welcoming the second is you feel a lack of communication regarding what is expected of you. I dont know how long youve been in edu or if youve just been graced with amazing colleagues your entire career, but an IT that views their classroom and to a certain extent their grade level (if they were the only IT in the grade in the past and they didnt have to collaborate, or they were besties with the previous IT), those types of personality conflicts and ego arent uncommon in IE.
As to expectations, I know this is going to sound contrite but its not uncommon for an IS and a leader to make an appointment with the understanding that as a teacher the expectation will be that you will, you know teach. Thats it, they may expect you to know everything you need to know and that any questions you have will be less of a what do I do, and more along the lines of, this is a new environment for me, so where do you keep the post it notes. That may sound condescending but there is a substantial population of IE leaders that will assume you know how to do the job (teaching) and dont require hand holding or mentoring, or anything else about what to do with kids when they come into your classroom until they leave your classroom.

All that said and now to deviate from what @Sid would suggest. If your going to pull a runner its better to do it sooner rather than later assuming you have an option. The sooner you leave the less an impact you will have had on your students, the sooner the IS can get a replacement before critical deadlines in the year get closer and the sooner you exit the smaller the gap in your resume to ghost. Leave now and you where barely there, such that the next IS you can just blame the lateness of your recruiting on COVID or your goldfish getting sick.
just.the.truth

Re: Need some advice

Post by just.the.truth »

THanks Psyguy. I wasn't really planning on doing a runner. I agree with everything your're saying. I guess I have been pretty lucky, so maybe this is a good challenge for growth.

Yes, I know I was hired to teach. I still think we all need support from time to time, regardless of our experience, and especially settling in somewhere new during a pandemic. I don't know everything, and I am always learning. I think everyone's stressed out at the moment, and I guess I just needed a little moral support from you guys, so I really appreciate it!