Transferring Certification with an Expired Certification

KizuStrife

Transferring Certification with an Expired Certification

Post by KizuStrife »

Hello,

I am currently teaching ESL in Korea and am wanting to apply to international schools here however my certifications have recently expired.

I held a Florida teaching certification for English/LA for grades 6-12 that expired in June 2020
I also held a Kentucky teaching certification for English/LA for grades 8-12 that expired June 2021

At the time I thought I would either make a career change or teach ESL for "the rest of my days" and renewing both certifications was either A. a hassle to take online courses of PD or B. impossible because my last four years of teaching ESL didn't count towards the required experience to renew. Anyway, here I am.

I want to continue living overseas for a good while and I think teaching at an international school is my next logical career step to stay here. Is there any way to get a new certification or transfer my expired ones to a new state that doesn't have PD or Testing requirements.

NOTE: There is no way for me to fly to America to test anytime soon
NOTE: I taught three full years in Florida as an English/LA teacher.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

WA state. You would qualify for their Residence (Professional grade) credential. They will accept an expired credential. It is also (like the MA Provisional) an effective lifetime credential. Its valid for 2 years, but thats two years of work, and specifically 2 years of work in the state of WA at a regulated (public/maintained) DS. As long as you dont work in WA it will not expire and you wont have to do any PD. I do not know how much you had to do to get your FL credential. WA will accept your FTCE, but WA also requires a general knowledge test, they will accept the PRAXIS Core which is available at global testing centers if you didnt complete a general knowledge test. You can either choose to apply based off of the expired credential and provide 3 years of teaching experience or you can apply based on completion of the EPP/ITT program you completed for the FL credential.
You can then use the WA Residence credential to obtain either a CA CLEAR (Professional grade) after you do some work to obtain an ESOL endorsement, which is a 5 year credential but requires no PD and the CA CLEAR credential is the gold standard in IE curriculum. Its also much less likely to be reinvented in such a way someday as to be dissolved, unlike the WA Residence credential which is more susceptible to a disadvantages change. The other option is you could use the WA Residence credential to obtain QTS which is a lifetime credential that requires no PD.
There are other options but none of them are better, you arent eligible or they will require PD at some point to renew.
KizuStrife

Re: Transferring Certification with an Expired Certification

Post by KizuStrife »

thank you very much for all of this information. I will begin checking on it today.