Apply for QTS using a DC standard license

Bears123

Apply for QTS using a DC standard license

Post by Bears123 »

Hello,

Recently, I just received my DC license with an endorsement in Middle School Math. I passed all of my Praxis tests. I did student teaching online, and I have a Master's degree from Moreland University.
I want to apply for QTS. I read some comments in other posts saying that it will be more difficult to apply for QTS for overseas candidates in the future.

Currently, I live in Washingtons State, USA. I hold both US and UK citizenship. I don't have any full-time teaching experience in the US yet. I am still looking for a teaching position in the US.

My questions are:
1) How can I get a QTS?
2) Should I apply for QTS as soon as possible?
3) Should I use my US or UK citizenship to apply? Should I apply as a non-UK citizen?
4) Is QTS a lifetime qualification? Does QTS state the endorsement?
Asteger

Re: Apply for QTS using a DC standard license

Post by Asteger »

The UK gov has a helpful website for questions like this, one cares to google
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

You say you live in Washington State, have you looked into transferring your DC cert there? You can get a Washington State cert that is essentially valid for life as long as you don't actually teach in the state (or this used to be the case at least - not sure if things have changed recently).
monkeycat

Post by monkeycat »

You can apply for QTS online with your DC license. Citizenship doesn't really matter. From what I understand QTS doesn't require renewal.
TeacherIan

Post by TeacherIan »

monkeycat wrote:
> You can apply for QTS online with your DC license. Citizenship doesn't
> really matter. From what I understand QTS doesn't require renewal.

This is true. I am Canadian. I used my NJ cert to obtain QTS. It doesn't expire.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In direct reply to your inquiry:

1) You can apply directly to the TRA at the application start page:
https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... cognition/

2) You should apply as soon as possible. There are developing issues that may even now prevent you from receiving QTS through Teach Now, though your online experience may mean its not an issue even under the updated interpretations.

3) It would be preferable for you to use your US citizenship and identification documents.

4) QTS is a lifetime credential that does not require PD or renewal. Your certificate does not list endorsements but your TRA profile has entries for approved fields. While these are not endorsements as they exist in the US, a DS in the UK would have some major issues assigning a DT to a subject that was not listed in their profile and the DT was not otherwise qualified for the assignment. This is less an issue in IE, but in BSOs the inspectorate can and does look at QTS profiles of staff when undergoing inspection.

You may consider applying for the WA Residence (Professional grade) credential and using that to apply for QTS. The Residence credential is effectively a lifetime credential as long as you dont work in a WA public/maintained DS.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Just out of curiosity: how would someone with QTS add a new field to their TRA profile?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Use the email provided on the teacher service application portal. Generally if they are in an accommodating mood supply a verifiable image of conferral of a new degree/major or a new/updated credential reflecting a new and current endorsement. There is room for three fields in the profile. However, if they arent feeling so accommodating they may decline the request and recommend you just show the new DS/IS your new credential/endorsement. They will only absolutely perform this service if a BS requests it.