Hawaii license

milovinka

Hawaii license

Post by milovinka »

Hello everyone, I am a music teacher from Serbia, Europe, and I am looking for an international teaching license (or certificate) that I can finish online because I do not have any (I prefer cheap ones :) . I thought about finishing the Moreland university teacher preparation program and then applying for a Hawaii license. I have heard from some people that Hawaii doesn't require Praxis core exams, like other states (DC, Arizona, etc). I tried to send them an email, but they did not answer. Is this true? I have bachelor's and master's degrees, can this count as basic core, so I do not have to do Praxis core (I am bad at math)? Can I actually obtain a Hawaii license online without going there? Thank you
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Moreland University is just the new name for Teach Now.

Yes, There are multiple ways of meeting the HI basic skills requirement. The easiest and most common is by providing transcripts of an earned bachelors degree. This will meet the basic skills requirement and you will not need to complete PRAXIS core or any other tests of basic skills. Non-US degrees will have to be evaluated by a NACES organization for equivalence to a US four year degree. Of the numerous evaluation services SpanTran is often the most advantageous to IT applicants. The most common issue is when applicants have a three year Bachelors degree or their degree does not have a suitable amount of general education coursework (typically the equivalent of 1 year of full time study or a minimum of 30 US credits).

Yes, you can complete the Teach Now program entirely online. You have to have a placement to do your 12 weeks of field experience but you can do that globally.
ILMathTeachr

Re: Hawaii license

Post by ILMathTeachr »

You didn't mention WHERE you want to teach, but if it's Hawaii, I'm sure you could find a job, as they're always recruiting. Their pay is pretty normal by American mainland standards. That's a problem, though, because everything is more expensive in Hawaii than most cities on the mainland, except perhaps New York City or San Francisco, so you won't save much, if at all, unless you get a 2nd job and work nights/weekends.
I met some Hawaiian teachers at a national conference years ago and they described the experience of teaching in Hawaii as... miserable. The students were described to me as very unmotivated, primarily because they've been raised with the understanding they live in paradise, yet students who are academically successful have to LEAVE Hawaii to realize their potential (exhibit A: Hawaii's favorite son Barack H. Obama, who had to move to Chicago, and then Washington DC to realize his potential). So why bust your ass to make good grades when the logical outcome involves leaving??
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @ILMathTeachr. Though HI DSs will not sponsor a US work visa. The biggest problem with HI cost of living though is yes everything is more expensive but housing costs are the main challenge.
milovinka

Re: Response

Post by milovinka »

Thank you, PsyGuy, for the answers! I have 4 years bachelor's degree and I know that non-US degrees will have to be evaluated by a NACES organization for equivalence. The problem is, I do not think that I have enough general education coursework, I had few social studies courses and English language, for two years (maybe still not the equivalent of one full year of study). Because I finished Music academy, I did not have math at all. How can I obtain math credits, are they completely necessary? Will I have to finish only the Praxis math exam, simply because I do not have math credits? Thank you a lot again
milovinka

Re: Hawaii license

Post by milovinka »

Thank you, PsyGuy, for the answers! I have 4 years bachelor's degree and I know that non-US degrees will have to be evaluated by a NACES organization for equivalence. The problem is, I do not think that I have enough general education coursework, I had few social studies courses and English language, for two years (maybe still not the equivalent of one full year of study). Because I finished Music academy, I did not have math at all. How can I obtain math credits, are they completely necessary? Will I have to finish only the Praxis math exam, simply because I do not have math credits? Thank you a lot again
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@milovinka

There is not a lot of productive value in crystal balling the NACEs evaluation, you need to apply for the evaluation (I would suggest using SPAN-TRAN) and see what it states. The answers to your questions really depend what the NACES evaluation states.