What do the new Chinese regulations mean for IS?

Smokegreynblues

What do the new Chinese regulations mean for IS?

Post by Smokegreynblues »

Coming right to the point-( This is my understanding) feel free to correct me.

1. Private tutoring up to the K-9 level is not to be for profit. Does that include ITs who give this after-school tutoring service, on behalf of the school?

2. International schools and Private schools cant teach the "International curriculum" what does that even mean in a "Real life" scenario?

Interested to know the viewpoint/experiences of the teacher's already working there.

Source 1. https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chi ... 021-05-17/

Source 2. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... urriculum/
eion_padraig

Re: What do the new Chinese regulations mean for IS?

Post by eion_padraig »

So far, the private tutoring isn't impacting tutoring of foreign international school students. It's important to know that schools that are only open to non-Chinese students, are governed differently than private schools and international divisions of public schools in China that are for Chinese nationals. However, this could certainly change, though the foreign international schools are definitely an after thought as far as the Chinese government goes. Often international newspapers don't really differentiate between schools serving Chinese students and those just for foreign students. Certainly there are more international teachers working at the first type (Chinese nationals) than the second type (foreign students), but generally the second type have better pay, benefits, and management.

I wasn't able to read the Telegraph article, so it's hard to comment on what it said.

As far as your second question, it means that up until grade 9 Chinese nationals are supposed to only learn the Chinese curriculum. Once they're finished compulsory education, they can study a foreign curriculum (IB, A levels, GCSE, AP, Canadian, etc).

So far it seems like some schools with Chinese students have been able to operate as they have for years. I can thing of several in my city. It may be that they have more political support. Or maybe that will be coming to an end. Or maybe only the ones that are owned by foreign companies/individuals will have problems.

I hope that makes sense.

Eion
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In direct reply to your inquiries:

1) Issue one will likely have zero impact on ISs. It doesnt apply to those that are already non-profit and the for profit ISs will either be allowed to fold in their ASP programs as an extension of their IS or they will spin off a non-profit for the tutoring ASP activities of their IS. This isnt really targeted at ISs its targeted at various "Cram" ESs. While I agree with @eion_padraig that ISs that provide for foreign students or host nation students with an international curriculum are governed and scrutinized differently than DSs that have an international or English academy within their DS, its not really relevant.
For those corporate Cram ESs its probably going to have a very significant effect for them. For the small branded and owner ESs its not going to mean very much. There are many ways to be a non-profit and still generate profit. Being a non-profit for example doesnt limit compensation, so an ES owner just puts themselves on the payroll and distributes a salary to themselves and any annual yearly revenue surplus as a bonus to themselves. For the small chain ESs they could do something similar either as a franchise model or as a vendor model where a portion of revenue is allocated to the franchise or to the vendor of the program/curriculum.

2) This one is going to be a lot more problematic for actual ISs. Though it doesnt apply to ISs that serve only foreign students that still leaves a lot of ISs that are not Chinese International/English academy DSs with a mandate that they must provide the same curriculum as Chinese public DSs through grade 9. This means essentially that PYP, MYP, BS and AS curriculum programs will banned until you get to upper secondary (and SLL). So whether a student goes to a Chinese DS or a Hogwarts BS or Acme AS the curriculum will be the same until after grade 9 (compulsory education). While the curriculum will be the same the ethos and environment and access to resources is still likely to be very different. Smaller class sizes, instructional delivery in English, greater use of instructional technology, etc. are still going to be marketing points of ISs.
In terms of classroom effects social studies/humanities, namely history and literature are going to have noticeable changes. Fine and performing arts, PHE, maths, science, ICT/DT arent likely to change much in content.
The biggest effects curriculum wise is going to be a substantial decrease in IB programs. Its not going to make sense for an IS to pay for PYP/MYP to effectively amount to hanging up IB posters while providing the standard Chinese curriculum. Parents are going to figure that out pretty quickly and they arent going to pay for it.

Structurally.
I dont see much happening in the way of reducing tuition/fees. Maybe ISs offer a few more scholarships. A longer calendar for capital improvements. I doubt you will see much in terms of cutting comp for OSH ITs. China right now is about 10K over the global average (32K) in salary. If they drop the average Chinese salary to align with the global average what will probably happen is seeing a substantial increase in uncredentialed, under credentialed and inexperienced ITs in Chinese ISs. I dont see that happening.
ISs are going to spin the strengths of their programs and ethos to justify fees/tuition. At a very rudimentary level the marketing is 'you want your child to go to English speaking Uni, they have to learn to think in English'. Thats really the core of what ISs in China do. International ISs dont have a monopoly on science, maths, the arts, or the humanities. Its foundation is English delivered instruction. Once the student moves to year 10 and SLL, the IS can correct all the issues with the Chinese curriculum in a 'prep' course such as 'foundations of western thought'. Parents will pay for English, they will have to, they have always had to.

Governance will amount to some shifting in ownership and leadership. In leadership your going to see an increase in directors that are Chinese nationals who will quietly be superior to the executive leadership (HOS) So instead of for example HOS (Foreigner) -> Secondary principal & Primary principal, it will be School Director (Chinese) -> Head of Academics/Academic Principal (Foreigner) -> Secondary principal & Primary principal. You probably wont talk to the school director about anything significant during your tenure.
Ownership will quietly see some shuffling as voting foreign board members/governors/trusties are replaced with Chinese ones and foreign members/governors/trusties if not outright removed are classified as advisory and non-voting members/governors/trusties.