Health of IT Roundup

sciteach

Health of IT Roundup

Post by sciteach »

As I like to be a fly on the wall to see how covid is affecting the new school year - I'd love to ask three different questions to get a snapshot on how things are going in different countries.

The questions are:

(1) Which country are you located at
(2) Have all teachers who had a job managed to get to the school (aka - visa problems or inability to employ people)
(3) Have student numbers increased, stabilized or decreased since last year?

It's probably be not to mention your actual school - but I will find it interesting to see potential results.
Thames Pirate

Re: Health of IT Roundup

Post by Thames Pirate »

I wonder if it's too early to tell re: student numbers. I think we might see a major shift as various countries' situations change and people become more comfortable with the concept of mobility again. I think a lot of families hunkered down and kept things stable, and where changes were made, they tended toward returns to home countries rather than moving on to the next gig. That makes me think that student numbers either stagnated or decreased for most schools, but even that is changing rapidly since most people didn't know at the start of the summer. It is hard to predict how that will shake out in the coming year or two as well. Visa situations are also day-to-day, and it's unclear for many if they will be able to get into the country where they got the job or if their new colleagues will arrive.

But an interesting idea. I am in WE, and visas are not much of an issue here for most teachers (we have only a handful of new teachers, and they are coming from places where there are no issues). Enrollment, however, is unclear, though the pre-summer numbers were steady or slightly down, but with less turnover of individual students.
marieh

Post by marieh »

(1) Pakistan
(2) We've had no visa issues and everyone will be able to get here.
(3) It's still way too early to tell as students/families leave and others arrive, but it sounds like we'll likely stay flat this year compared to the end of last. Our "big" (in relative terms compared to other years) exodus was at the beginning of last year when we told people we'd be 100% online.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

1 Africa (not a country, but hey, cut me some slack)
2. Everybody is coming back. No issues.
3. Looks like enrolment is up.