Teaching Certification

TeachtoTeach

Teaching Certification

Post by TeachtoTeach »

I'm looking for advice on my next step.

I have a Master of Teaching from Australia but I didn't teach in Australia long enough to receive full registration/certification. I'm now in a position where I have a teaching qualification and several years of experience but no certification which is becoming a barrier at getting into the types of schools I'm now interested in so I'm looking at doing additional study to option a teaching certification in addition to my degree.

Returning to Australia to teach isn't a realistic option and I'm currently working full-time so I'm looking at doing some form of online course. I'm looking at either Moreland's teaching certification which comes with registration in 3 US states or some form of PGCE that will lead to QTS. I think QTS would be more professionally useful but I'm struggling to choose a course that can be completed online which will give me the end-result I'm looking for.

I'd appreciate any advice or guidance.
chemteacher101

Re: Teaching Certification

Post by chemteacher101 »

You could probably use a NACES evaluation (I recommended SpanTran) to get your education recognized in the US, apply for a license in Hawaii and then use that for QTS. That's assuming your master is recognized as a teacher preparation program. What's the specific degree title? Is it considered teacher training?
unsure

Post by unsure »

The best way to get QTS would be for you to do the Assessment Only route (unless you want to go to the UK for a year).
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Assessment route is one option. Personally, I don't see why it would be better than the OP getting an HI license and then getting QTS through the reciprocity agreement with the UK (worked for me). That is assuming that the OP's education is equated to a teacher preparation program by a NACES evaluation. But, assuming it is, it is much faster and cheaper than doing Assessment route...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Im going to assume you no longer have partial registration, because if you did thats a professional credential.

Moreland is just the new name for Teach Now. You dont receive a credential in three states. They work as an EPP/ITT partner with three state DOE's Of those Arizona doesnt issue regular credentials (as opposed to permits) to those who arent US citizens or PRs. Of the remaining two are HI and DC. The HI credential has a longer validity period (5 years) before you have to renew compared to DCs 4 years. Both of them issue credentials to non-citizens. Hi also has an advance grade credential valid for 10 years once you have enough experience, but they wont count IE experience any longer by the time your eligible. The difference between the two at that point is different schemes in PD renewal. HI has a system of competency dimensions that you have to meet. Its easy if your an an AS and your leadership has a US admin credential, you can just have them sign off on meeting the criteria. Its much harder if you dont as you then have to put together essentially a portfolio. DC in contrast has a system whereby you collect PD hours doing various activities or you can simply retake the professional credentialing exams (PRAXIS) which are offered globally. Lastly because of the systems if you have multiple credentials than HI can be easier as DC requires you to complete PD requirements for each credential you renew.

You will need to complete an NACES evaluation regardless of which pathway you pursue in the US. While I do recommend SpanTran, generally, in your case its not going to matter. Partial registration (entry grade) and an AUS masters is not the equivalent of a professional grade credential, it doesnt matter which evaluation service you use. If you had partial registration than HI may issue you a Provisional (Entry grade) credential but you cant use that for QTS and its a three year non-renewable credential and you can no longer use IE experience to transition it to the standard (professional grade) credential. You could use it to get a DC Inital (Entry grade) credential giving you a total of 5 years.

A few years ago it would have been different but by the time youre in a position to use a professional grade US credential to apply for QTS you wont be eligible as the requirement to have completed field experience in the regulatory jurisdiction (the US) will be solidified. Its even probability that the entire mutual recognition system currently in the UK is going to go away and require a LEA sponsor to apply for QTS. Meaning you wont be able to apply for QTS recognition independently anymore but will require a DS in the UK to sponsor your application (ultimately meaning they have offered you an appointment and its contingent on having QTS), and even then they are going to require you to have completed your field experience in the jurisdiction you completed your EPP/ITT program in. Meanwhile much like a PGCEi the TCL/TRA and the Dfe is looking at a international form of QTS (iQTS/QTSi). Which acceptance and utility is going to vary from country to country and theres still a lot of unknowns including if it even happens. However, youd likely be able to use the HI Standard credential or the DC Standard credential to receive QTSi/iQTS at some point based on the current drafts (which are VERY early drafts).

If you really want QTS the best option, because it fails safe is going to be going the AO route. It will cost more and you will have to do more work, but the major challenge of having a classroom to compose your portfolio and have your observations and evaluations done you have. The only issue might be that your IS has to be using the UK NC curriculum. If they arent then you cant do AO in your IS. Also, unlike the current OTT QTS option, you will be an NQT and will still have the induction requirement (your NQT year). Some ISs mainly the top tier BSs want ITs who have completed induction, but otherwise partial (NQT) QTS isnt much of an issue in IE.

There are some other options in the US such as Teach Ready (potentially longer pathway to getting a professional grade credential compared to Teach Now but a shorter field experience assuming you have the requisite years of experience).

Several available options include:

1) A US option is the MA (Massachusetts) Provisional (entry grade) credential. There is no EPP/ITT program requirement. Its an assessment pathway that essentially requires passing the professional credentialing exams. The MTEL is available for some exams by testing remotely (doesnt require travel) and now accepts PRAXIS core (available globally) for the communication literacy exam. Otherwise testing in MA or in the US (some exams are only available at specific testing locations in the MA). The exams together (you must take 2 a subject matter exam and communication literacy) will cost about USD$250. The application fee for the credential is USD$100. The MA Provisional credential is effectively a lifetime credential that will not require you to renew or complete PD. You can not use it for gaining QTS.

2) A UK option could be for you to apply for QTLS (professional grade) through the SET (Society for Education and Training). You only need a level 5 qualification or better with 100 field experience and evaluations which would be right around the alignment with partial registration in AUS. Your Masters is a level 7 qualification. If accepted into the program you compose a portfolio around 9 elements that takes around 6 months to complete and costs about £500 about a 1/6 of the cost of AO and 1/10 the cost of Teach Now. You nominate your own mentor (an IT or leader at your current IS who is otherwise already credentialed) and the commitment is generally about 2 hours a week in self guided formation. The final evaluation of your portfolio is submitted digitally. Once successful you receive QTLS and can apply for QTS recognition.

3) A CAN option available to you may be an Independent School Teaching Certificate (ISTC) or even a full certificate of qualification (COQ) credential. Partial registration and a Masters is right at the margin for meeting the requirements for the full COG combined with current K12/KS experience, the CAN and AUS systems are familiar enough that you may meet the requirements.
Asteger

Post by Asteger »

Wow, this thread does not really concern me or my situation, but to PsyGuy above who took the time to write all that, I thought it'd still be good to say thanks! - the original poster can say so too, but that was a lot of work and knowledge conveyed - even if there were a few too many acronyms for my taste!

Is PsyGuy (PG - why not use an acrynym?) correct that you do not have provisional registration in AUS anymore? If you did, you might be able to apply elsewhere for recognition before expiry.

I am familiar with the NZ system, where unforunately if your provisional registration expires after a few years you will need to do a 6-mo refresher to re-qualify. A drag. I assume AUS is a bit similar.

I think I have noticed that a school or two require you to be actively registered in your home country/place of teacher training. However, really? Is there that much of an impediment if you are not regisered in AUS? Do that many schools say this, if at all?

I wonder also if you might check Hong Kong? You can have your foreign qualification recognised there for registration, from what I remember - if a solid qualifiction, with actual observed teaching placements of a certain length (some online programmes won't work). But I do not recall if current registration is required, meaning that expired or suspended registrations won't be (such as due to non-payment of annual fees).

Good luck. Curious to hear how you navigate through things ;)
Asteger

Post by Asteger »

... Oh, forget about HK. Not sure about active registration in AUS, etc, but recalled: you need to be in HK, at least with a tourist visa stamp in your passport or something. Not a possibility now.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Asteger

If the LW did have provisional registration then that in of itself is a credential (Entry grade), and they may have more options available to them. My presumption based on the LWs description of having issues with job searches at having a lack of a credential was that they did not.

The LW could re-qualify, but they would have to go back to AUS to do so, and as they are currently working FTE, that isnt really an available option to them as they indicated. If it was an option going back and doing so would be among the superior options available.

Yes lack of a credential is absolutely an impediment as you travel upward through the tiers. Even within the third tier which is very large compared to the second and first tier, once you move out of the bottom of the third tier (even into the middle of third tier) lack of a credential becomes a substantial barrier. There are many working in IE among the third tier and even the second and first tier (nothing surprises me any more) without a regular edu credential but they are the rare exception.

As you updated in your post you need to be resident in HK to apply for an HK credential. Aside from that though, yes you can apply for recognition, but its not going to turn out very well for the LW if they do so. HK has two levels of a credential permitted status and registered status. The permitted status is more a permit than a regular credential (such as an entry grade credential), and without a valid credential when applying this is what the DOE in HK is going to likely issue. Registered (professional grade) would likely require the LW to have a valid professional grade credential to obtain.
It might be a different scenario if the LW had an expired full registration (professional grade) credential from AUS. Thats closer to coin flip probabilities, could go either way. With an expired partial registration my coin is on permitted status.
traceyba33

Post by traceyba33 »

My friend had a similar story. And until he received a certificate, he could not get a job. After 2 months, only a certificate was sent.