Vietnam - marriage work permit exemption

askingforafriend

Vietnam - marriage work permit exemption

Post by askingforafriend »

I'm asking this question for a friend, on behalf of my dear friend who is in Vietnam.

The teaching school in Vietnam delayed in issuing a marriage work permit exemption for my friend. So now they left it too late, and they can't legally give my friend teaching work.

Please advice.

Thanks
mamava

Re: Vietnam - marriage work permit exemption

Post by mamava »

You'll have to provide a lot more info/context to get an answer.
askingforafriend

My friend is married to a local Vietnamese, and he works as an examiner throughout the pandemic. My understanding is without this marriage work permit exemption, his contract with the school will lapse, and he will be forced to leave the country. He is a father of 4 years old.

So the question is 1) Can my friend appeal to the school's principal/owner to issue an emergency exemption based on his work record and humanity? 2) And can the NZ consulate general in Ho Chi Minh City help my friend, please?

Thanks
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Not sure how much the following relates to that specific situation, but...Vietnam is going through a major visa crackdown currently and many expats (especially retirees and digital nomad types) are being forced out. Several reports on Youtube about this at the moment. Unless your friend is considered a "highly skilled expert", a visa extension at this time may be impossible.
sunteacher

Post by sunteacher »

I think that your friend should engage with a lawyer in Vietnam.
I would suggest that he joins some visa Facebook groups, but all cases are different and some people are not really qualified to give advice! There is a group that is run by a Vietnamese Lawyer...Linh something. He might be better to advise!
Good luck, the laws are not clear at this moment.
askingforafriend

Thanks, everyone!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In direct reply to your inquiry.

1) Yes, they can but at best all the IS can do is sponsor or submit such a request to immigration for consideration. They cant really issue anything themselves. If the IS though was keen on keeping your friend they wouldnt need to be appealed to, they would be assisting your friend on their own initiative. That they arent doing this, I doubt an appeal on any grounds formal or otherwise is going to change anything.

2) No, the NZ consulate cant do anything and even if they could they arent doing to flex whatever influence they do have for an IT.

In this case your friend really does need the assistance of a legal professional in immigration to explore their options and what they can do on their own. It may be worthwhile for them to ask if the ISs legal counsel can help them or make a referral. It just doesnt seem like your friends IS is really all that interested in helping your friend or they already would have.