Local vs. Overseas Hire in the EU

Heliotrope

Re: Local vs. Overseas Hire in the EU

Post by Heliotrope »

As much I don't like to say that PsyGuy is correct (luckily he rarely is), I have to agree that for the large majority of EU ISs, having a candidate have an EU passport is a huge plus. Lots of ISs can hire only hire a small number of teachers from outside the EU (or perhaps even zero), so they will prefer to hire EU candidates. If they happen to have the option hire someone from outside the EU (because a non-EU teacher just left), they will use that to hire a candidate they really really want, for a hard to fill spot for example.

I know the more well-known ISs in Europe are able to hire more teachers from outside the EU, but I'm not sure why.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I think it really depends on the school and to some extent the location. Some schools are able to hire as needed based on their status with the local government, while others have to hire EU first or have to hire a certain percentage of EU citizens. The well-known and more established schools seem to have worked out how to make it work and be very international; of course, many of them predate the EU, which helps.

So yes, having the passport can be an advantage.

I did want to say to the OP that most schools do cover at least a chunk of the relocation--I have seen reimbursements and allowances up to a certain amount with receipts submitted. This is especially true of the more established schools. But that should be discussed upon hire and written into the contract.
angelica1981

Re: Reply

Post by angelica1981 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @angelica1981
>
> No its not. Its not about what ISs want or prefer or are used to doing, its
> about governments and the rules (laws) and regulations.
>
> No its not. EU vacancies on SA are a small percentage of their vacancies
> about 15%. Non-EU citizens and those not already in possession of valid
> working papers are at a great disadvantage in obtaining EU positions. There
> are exceptions and Im sure your convinced with your @Thames Pirate tale of
> how easy it is to get employed in the EU, its just not the case and this is
> true for all ISs.

Oh, OK, so I've hallucinated my entire experience and all observations of my current school and dozens of other ISs in the EU. Right.

PsyGuy, I'm willing to bet that I've spent more years in the EU than you have done.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Its essentially that those ISs have long standing historical agreements that allow them to recruit IT more efficiently outside of the EU.

Some ISs will offer a relocation allowance that included flights which could possibly give the IT the opportunity to have additional costs reimbursed as part of that allowance. Typically though you shouldnt expect more than airfare out of it.

Relocation is a small drop in the bucket compared to housing which youre not likely to get in the WE.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Uh, we've always gotten a relocation allowance for shipping. It's been a per person allowance and is generous enough for most people who aren't pack rats and moving with everything and the kitchen sink. Flights were also included. Pets were considered part of that when luggage, or shipping allowance when shipped separately. So yes, relocation assistance. And in my experience if you let the school know before the job fairs that you are leaving, they offer a small departure shipping assistance. It serves as an incentive to let the school know early so they can recruit early. This is because local laws prohibit the insanely early decision dates and the associated creep that many contracts in other countries set; most of the time you have until May to decide. So the schools offer the incentive.

Of course, again, each school is different, but that's always the case, regardless of region.

Most of the time, housing is not included (unless it's a boarding school or something).

What isn't included is the annual flights home.