US Teacher Certification Change States

NoWhy

US Teacher Certification Change States

Post by NoWhy »

Hello, always want to thank everyone for the great support and helpful answers I've benefited from in the past, haven't asked anything in awhile and my first question was about 6 years ago.

Quick question now about recommended state to change a teaching certification to for a US teacher. I'm currently renewing my Florida certification. I meet the requirements because I recently earned a Masters in Ed. I remember seeing a post on this forum awhile ago recommending a state to change one's teaching license to for renewal purposes. Unfortunately I cannot find it by searching because the words used are too common. I plan to continue international school teaching for the foreseeable future. If anyone is aware of a state worth going through this process for, please let me know.

Thank you.
marieh

Re: US Teacher Certification Change States

Post by marieh »

New Jersey has a reciprocity agreement with Florida and offers permanent licenses that do not need to be renewed. That's what I did.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are several options. NJ offers a true lifetime credential that requires neither PD or renewal. Among other requirements is you need 3 years of recent experience. Years ago it was easier to get using IE experience, recently they have been less accepting of IE experience. It really depends on where you have been teaching in IE.

WA offers a Residence (standard grade) credential similar to the MA provisional scheme. Its valid for two years, but thats 2 years of teaching in WA, if you never teach in WA you will never meet the expiration requirements and it will be an effective life time credential.

CA which is the gold standard for the US NC in IE offers the CLEAR (standard grade) credential. Its a 5 year credential which you must renew but requires no PD. You will need two years of experience which may be in IE, but like NJ is subjective. You will also need to add an ESOL endorsement to your FL credential to qualify.

MO offers a 99 year Continuous Career credential (advanced grade) though the requirements are no less than NJ.

You could also consider obtaining QTS from the UK as an option if you have academic qualifications in your teaching fields.
Bears123

Post by Bears123 »

About license renewal, I have a DC Standard License. Do you guys know does it require PD or teaching experience to renew DC License?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Bears123

The teaching experience option (really performance evaluation) is only viable if your teaching in a DC LEA. Otherwise your options are to complete the 120 clock hours of acceptable PD for one credential endorsement and an additional 45 clock hours of acceptable PD for each additional endorsement OR retake and pass the appropriate credentialing (PRAXIS) exam for each endorsement.
cms989

Post by cms989 »

It's pretty easy to transfer to IL. That's five years (actually mine was six I think because the timing of my application in the summer). 120 hours of PD is required but presumably I could just transfer to another state when it's almost up. So if there is no perfect solution I'd just rotate different states 3-4 times til your career is done.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

While I cant imagine jumping from state to state would be easier than applying for a permenant credential in one of the previously discussed locations it is an option that would avoid you having to do PD.