International Qualification for Headship (NPQH)

Spawnboy99

International Qualification for Headship (NPQH)

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Just seeking people's opinions on the above course. This course costs around £2395 and would like to know if this would add benefit to future Headship Roles, I will be entering my first Headship Role at a small international school, pretty much at a junior school taking a reduction in salary but hoping that the 2/3 years of experience and learning plus using both National and Cambridge Curriculum and the NPQH added to my CV will help me in the future to seek a role at a better school with better pay and benefit.

Would like to know if anybody has done this course and after completing it found it has given them more opportunities and enhanced their career.
Asteger

Re: International Qualification for Headship (NPQH)

Post by Asteger »

Sorry, Spawnboy, as I can't really comment informatively on what you've written. I'm familiar with the NPQH but have not heard of an 'international' version. I googled 'International Qualification for Headship' as you have written, but came up with nowt. It is definitely a cheaper route to a qualification than doing, say, an MA in leadership of some sort. Where is it being offered?...

Correction: Tried again and this time found it by including the fee you quoted, the 'National Professional Qualification
for Headship - International' offered by Outstanding Leaders Partnership. I do not know the privider and so probably am not saying anything useful, but this certainly looks like a low-cost way to 'get a qualification' but you might be getting what you pay for too.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

My experience so far (from a teacher's perspective), is that most of the heads of school I've had had either an Ed.D. degree, a M.Ed. in leadership, or either of these plus something like the certificate from the PTC. This last one seems to be, at least in my opinion, as a provider of some seriously strong networking opportunities.

Some of the heads of school I've had have actual administrative licenses from some state in the USA, but several of them have been British and they seem to rely solely on having an advanced degree plus PTC (or similar).
sid

Post by sid »

Agree with chemteacher.
Probably not worth the paper it’s printed on. Get a full degree and perhaps add some ptc.
PhD is recommended for bigger, fancier tier 1 type schools. Med is fine for middle level.
unsure

Post by unsure »

If you're working in British schools, the NPQH is the accepted qualification for headteachers (even at top tier schools!). Not sure about your 'international one' though. Ask them where their alumni work - that should give you an idea.

As you can see from earlier comments, most Americans won't have heard of it, which I guess would hurt your chances if that's what you're after.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Thanks for your feedback so far, I have taught both locally and internationally for over 20 years and within that time have taught a variety of curriculums as well. I have also got a Bachelor of Education and have had a number of leadership roles, but to be honest, need to get out of the classroom, hence why I took a job at a smaller international school as a Head. I was told by past and present educators, that this course will be beneficially and add to my career development. I understand that a Master in Education and Leadership could be a better option, but time and money and general family life is something I may consider in the long term future. Hence why I was inquiring about this course, also the company is probably paying a portion of this which I will be grateful for.

The overview of the course states the following (taken from the website)

National Professional Qualification (NPQ): Headship
NPQH gives participants all of the essential knowledge, skills, and concepts that underpin successful headship. Participants will cover ‘learn that’ and ‘learn how to’ statements in ten areas:

1 – School Culture
2 – Teaching
3 – Curriculum and Assessment
4 – Behaviour
5 – Additional and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
6 – Professional Development
7 – Organisational Management
8 – Implementation
9 – Working in Partnership
10 – Governance and Accountability

What are the benefits?
The fully blended learning approach combined with performance coaching and enrichment activities makes this an exciting and valuable opportunity for current and aspiring headteachers.

The NPQH qualification is aligned to Master's credits and can act as a springboard on to Liverpool Hope University’s MA in Leading in Education or the MBA in Educational Leadership.

Benefits for Participants
Focus on and develop the key skills needed for headship
Internationally recognised, high standard organisation for leadership development
Challenge and development to deliver educational excellence in a self-improving system which will enable high-quality outcomes for pupils and students
Time to reflect on leadership practice and to network with a wide range of school leaders
Increased awareness and understanding of self and of the behaviours needed to lead a school
Increased confidence to drive the vision and improve standards
Increased capability and capacity to take on whole-school responsibility and a strengthened ability to hold others to account
Benefits for Schools
Support succession of school leaders and build a cohesive, impact-focused school leadership team
A professionally aware and informed leader who can make evidence-based decisions and approach new challenges in an effective and efficient manner
The ability to delegate responsibility effectively empowering staff to lead on whole-school improvement
The ability to review and evaluate practice in order to bring about change and get the best outcomes for young people and staff within the organisation
sid

Post by sid »

In its alignment with Liverpool Hope U, and its choice of topics, it is similar to the PTC. The difference being that the PTC has name recognition in international schools. The NPQH not so much.

It could indeed be helpful in teaching you useful things, and I would never look askance at learning useful things. But without external validation of the quality, which hasn't been presented, that learning is not certain.

Learning useful things helps you be better at the job. Huzzah! Beyond that, if you want something that also helps you get a better job, it would be better to stick to the tried and tested degree route.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

NPQH is widely recognized in British schools, as far as I am aware. I know two people doing it now. It is promoted by FOBISIA. https://www.fobisia.org/cpd/npq
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

I know a few people either doing or who have done this, as well as the Senior Leaders one (NPQSL). It seems to be welcomed a bit more for English NC schools, including one which do IBDP after IGCSE, but US and IB World schools tend to look more for a Masters (either MA or MEd). I think to offer the programme too, the universities have to be certified by the DfE in England (though I'm not 100% sure).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The NPQH among the other NPQs is the credential for leadership in the UK. The NPQH is a credential its not a license. The providers must be authorized by the Dfe. Its equivalent to a Principal administration credential from the US. Though you do not need anything more than QTS to be qualified for any leadership role in a BS. Combined with an advance degree it makes, in part, for a strong application for a BS leader appointment. Absent an advanced degree though, solely on its own, its going to be less competitive for an HOS/executive leadership position, closer to being competitive for a lower senior leadership appointment.
It is absolutely worth the paper its printed on.

PTC is nothing, their certificates arent worth the paper they are printed on. PTC isnt a qualification, a credential, or a license to do anything. What it does have is name recognition, and more importantly a network of members who include many leaders in a position to hire other leaders. Theres some strong utility to marketability in that aspect of the PTC. Its nothing more than a club though.

ASs tend to look more for US state administrative leadership credentials along with an advance degree.
buffalofan

Re: Response

Post by buffalofan »

PsyGuy wrote:

> PTC is nothing, their certificates arent worth the paper they are printed
> on. PTC isnt a qualification, a credential, or a license to do anything.
> What it does have is name recognition, and more importantly a network of
> members who include many leaders in a position to hire other leaders.
> Theres some strong utility to marketability in that aspect of the PTC. Its
> nothing more than a club though.

Yeah this matches up with my experience working under a principal who went through PTC. Instead of providing inspiration and guidance to faculty, there was lots of talk about "mentors" and it just seemed like a good ol' boys club. Lots of favoritism, and if you questioned the way things worked you were treated like a leper.