Re: Signs it is Time to Move On

Post by angelica1981 »

fine dude wrote:
> Don't forget that moving on for just the sake of it could hurt you in the
> long term. You may not advance on the salary scale as planned or have to
> work under inexperienced department heads. Both of these will affect your
> saving potential and peace of mind. There is very few greener pastures in
> international teaching currently.

'...very few greener pastures in international teaching currently'.

Yes, this. More than in any other year, I would advise remembering this. I don't think this is a good year to be making a blind jump. If you can stand your current working conditions, I would suggest hanging on for now. I know multiple teachers who are currently wondering if they will be able to get into their new countries in time for the next school year, and a few more who have had new contracts cancelled.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The day you realize packing all your stuff is less of a pain than going to your classroom. It doesnt really matter the feelings or the reasons, good ITs can put up with ANYTHING for a day. Yeah COVID, but that just says more about how an IS deals with crises, and not dealing with it well indicates how they will deal with it in the future.

I disagree with @fine dude, moving on rarely hurts an IT, there are tradeoffs sure, but just as the tradeoffs can be less than they are for you now they can also be better tradeoffs, what value do you put on your happiness and MH.
There are actually a number of very good options in IE right now if youre in the right place (meaning youre already in country). A number of ETs in JP got to make the transition from ESOL to IE, because the ISs cant bring anyone in.

@Rhysboy

How much time do you have left on your contract, whats the reference likely to be, and what are your options?

You can pretty much do anything for a year and not hurt your marketability. So anything a year or less and you can reasonably ghost it without fretting. If your plan is to leave at term and you can job search and/or your fine with ESOL for the time being, than lack of options is less an issue. If your half way though your last year and your reference will be positive, it may just be better to phone it in for the rest of the year and do the head bobble.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

PG
The same ETs are also at risk of being replaced by experienced folks once flights resume and governments ease controls. 1-year contracts don't help much with making a career. With the cost of living and health insurance premiums going up, I don't see how trade offs can lead to more happiness when you live pay check to pay check and have student loans and mortgages to pay off.
Heliotrope

Re: Response

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> it may just be better to phone it in for the rest of the year and
> do the head bobble.

Or, you know, not phoning it in, but rather feel responsible for your students and just be a good teacher for the rest of the year.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@fine dude

Which was every single one of us who started their career in edu with their first contract, which likely was a year and every IT I know with a career in IE started out with a 1 year contract.

The cost of living is usually going up, and not everyone pays health care premiums. Not everyone has student loans and mortgages to pay off. Sounds like a lot of self projection.

@Heliotrope

Its just a job, and ITs are responsible to themselves as well.
We disagree.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Its just a job, and ITs are responsible to themselves as well.
> We disagree.

Well, being a good teacher doesn't mean you're not 'responsible to yourself' as well.
We do disagree.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Being a good IT has nothing to do with being responsible or feeling responsible to your students. You can despise and hate your students and still be an excellent edu.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

"Being a good IT has nothing to do with being responsible or feeling responsible to your students. You can despise and hate your students and still be an excellent edu."

Would never let this guy anywhere near my school or kids.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

@fine dude

How do you know its a guy?
How would you know at all, they arent going to wear a T-shirt advertising "I hate your kids"?
How do you know your kids ITs now dont despise children in general?
What youd know because your an IT and you have some 6th sense about these things?
Heliotrope

Re: Inquiry

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @fine dude
>
> How do you know its a guy?

I think he's referring to you.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

@psyguy

Which was every single one of us who started their career in edu with their first contract, which likely was a year and every IT I know with a career in IE started out with a 1 year contract.

- most initial contracts are for 2 years.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

@psyguy

Being a good IT has nothing to do with being responsible or feeling responsible to your students. You can despise and hate your students and still be an excellent edu.

- this really isn't true. Yes, teaching is a job, but it's a job that involves nurturing and caring for young people. So, no, you can't hate and despise them and still be an excellent educator.

xx
sid

Post by sid »

PsyGuy wrote:

> every IT I know with a career
> in IE started out with a 1 year contract.
>
>

Not me.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

Nor me.

I look forward to @psyguy changing his extensively researched figures from 'every' to 99% or whatever...
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Being a good IT has nothing to do with being responsible or feeling
> responsible to your students. You can despise and hate your students and
> still be an excellent edu.
Yikes. This is a sign that you should move on from classroom teaching all together.