Trends in international school counseling

secondplace

Re: Trends in international school counseling

Post by secondplace »

@psyguy

Perhaps. Or perhaps not.

Either way you're so far wide of the mark of what effective international school counseling is I find it hard to believe.

Again, I'm sorry that either:

a) you're experiences have been so poor, but I'm more sorry for the students in your schools

or

b) we simply have incompatible views on what effective counseling is, and its importance

If (b), then that's fine, we can have different views. But, I find your views lacking in understanding, empathy and compassion and I will continue to advocate for mine.

Peace and love.

xx
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@secondplace

No, its accurate and current. Your position is so far from accurate or realistic, its delusional. Either you just dont know or you are actively and willfully repping a vision of IE counseling so grossly separated from reality for the purpose of inflating your own ego.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

@psyguy

How would I be inflating my ego by advocating for a model of counseling that is based around supporting students, and their families, in times of emotional need.

I have been fortunate to work with counselors whose focus is on supporting students, of all ages, in being successful at school. This involves working with them on self esteem, relationships, transitions, stress and countless other ways. Sometimes this is individual, sometimes in groups.

It's essential work. It's important and I only wish you'd seen this is action as you would then appreciate this.

You clearly haven't.

And I'm sorry for the students in your previous, and presumably current, schools that this hasn't been the case. They're missing out.

And you're missing the point.

xx
interteach

Post by interteach »

I believe PG got his feelings very badly hurt by a counselor in the past, and he has developed a grudge. It's a pattern of his I've seen over the years. He really should try shadowing a counselor for a few days, but I doubt he would as it's impossible for him to admit he may be wrong.

Given PG's behavior on this board, I can well imagine that he's been the subject of many student complaints to counselors, and can easily envision counselors trying to help him improve his practice. I'm sure that didn't sit well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@secondplace

Your inflating the importance of need, thats ego.
Counselors are not essential. Get rid of an ISs ITs and the work of education grinds to a halt. get rid of the IS counselor and classes and the school still happen.
Ive never met a counselor good or bad who didnt pitch the line they were "focused on supporting students".
None of those issues "self esteem, relationships, transitions, stress" are elements that cant be addressed by an IT or in serious cases by an actual MH professional outside of the IS. Those elements are such a small, small, small part of a counselors actual tasking.
Its not essential or important or a majority portion of a counselors tasking because you claim it to be so, your claims are not self authenticating.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

@psyguy

- Your inflating the importance of need, thats ego.

It's not my need. It's the needs of our students and the vital role counselors play in supporting them. I'm not a counselor, but I see the value of their work.

- Its not essential or important or a majority portion of a counselors tasking because you claim it to be so, your claims are not self authenticating.

Again, we have different views. Look at the replies from several people in this thread. They see immense value in good counselors in international schools. You don't. That's fine, but I do think you're wrong.

xx
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@secondplace

I didnt state your need, just need, and your inflating it.
Having a couple members agreeing with you doesnt make your claim true, truth is not dictated ad populum.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

@psyguy

I'm comfortable with my views, based in my experience and the value I see effective counselors bring to schools.

I wish I could convince you, as I think that would be better for you and your students.

I know I won't be able to. And that's fine. I wish you and the students in your school well.

xxx
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@secondplace

As I am equally comfortable with my position and experience.