Advice on what to do next...

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with @SJ in part, that while its true currently, you only get one shot at induction and full QTS, you can stay an NQT in IE for a long career without detritus effect.

@redandwhitead

I hope you have another option pathway that youve considered. KS2 isnt a high demand area, youre not going to just roll back to England and have HOSs eager and salivating to hire an unqualified ET for a primary classroom.

@muinteoir

Ireland is part of the UK, at least Norther Ireland is, had I meant the republic of Ireland I would have stated that.

They dont really have different curriculums. There is substantial congruence between the curriculums with some minor differences and what differences there are, are less content and more scope and sequence. Its not very relevant in this context however if you have full registration by any of the GTCs you will qualify for QTS, whereas the reverse isnt reciprocal. Youre more likely to end up with partial registration then be denied QTS.

@expatscot

The regulations dont actually require two years experience, it would just be difficult to have a minimal amount of experience in two settings in less than two years. A provider may also consider education experience at EC or further education which could include environments such as ESOL, its the age groups that matter and the amount of contact time. Thats not really an issue in this situation though the LW has plenty of experience with appropriate age groups.

The electrician who completes the city and guilds course, absolutely. It wont void the property insurance.

Those may be true but even assuming your claim is true, looking good on paper is marketable.

@Piggledish

The program might do those things, it might also be an immensely boring dwaddle that generates little learning. A lot depends on the program and even to a degree on the instructors.

@geoguy

Not really not in IE. In many ISs that are attached to a regional or local Uni, being on faculty at the Uni doesnt get you a tuition/place waiver/seat for dependents in the IS, especially for non-tenured foreign faculty.
Heliotrope

Re: Discussion

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @muinteoir
>
> Ireland is part of the UK, at least Norther Ireland is, had I meant the
> republic of Ireland I would have stated that.

Had you meant Northern Ireland, you would have stated that.
If someone says 'Ireland', they either mean the republic of Ireland (which is what 99% will assume they mean), or the whole island (the republic of Ireland plus Northern Ireland).
Illiane_Blues

Re: Discussion

Post by Illiane_Blues »

I see what you did there... :-)
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

I mean the part of Ireland thats part of the UK, since thats what I wrote.
Heliotrope

Re: Comment

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> I mean the part of Ireland thats part of the UK, since thats what I wrote.

Perhaps that's what you meant, but you wrote 'Irish'.
Look, I don't care that you made a mistake, it's only human, but you saying: "Ireland is part of the UK, at least Norther Ireland is, had I meant the republic of Ireland I would have stated that" invites the response that 'had you meant Northern Ireland, you would have stated Northern Ireland'.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

I meant what i wrote, the Northern Irish are also Irish.
I dont care that your assumptions are in error, and when I make an error I have no issue addressing it, like I did when I wrote IE instead of ME.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> I meant what i wrote, the Northern Irish are also Irish.
> I dont care that your assumptions are in error, and when I make an error I
> have no issue addressing it, like I did when I wrote IE instead of ME.

Oh, I believe you when you say you meant Northern Ireland, but the way you wrote is was, as @muinteoir pointed out, incorrect. Your reply to them that "Ireland is part of the UK, at least Norther Ireland is, had I meant the republic of Ireland I would have stated that" was the only reason I replied that 'had you meant Northern Ireland, you would have stated Northern Ireland'.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No it wasnt incorrect, Im not responsible for your assumptions or the assumptions of others. I had no reason to clarify, there is a portion of Ireland that belongs to the UK and I stated as such.
muinteoir

Re: Advice on what to do next...

Post by muinteoir »

Ireland refers to the island of Ireland, which is made up of Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland - more commonly referred to as Ireland.
Ireland usually means the Republic, not the North.

__

ANYWAY, word on the street has it that an 'iQTS' may be established in the coming years, allowing completion of AOR to QTS using a curriculum other than the English National Curriculum. Hopefully this will open new avenues for ITs.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not just word on the street, the Dfe ran a proposal for comment that just finished in May. None of those elements though are part of the proposal. Its still going to be based on the English National Standards, and its not going to have a separate AO option (though like anyone they could still go through the current AO route). Its essentially a limited ITT option so that Unis like Sunderland and Nottingham that have PGCEi programs will have a corresponding form of QTS (iQTS). Its not going to require an induction component and its not going to qualify the holder to teach in maintained DSs (it was suggested this was an option, but its not going to happen). The only other benefit would be increased flexibility in delivery, such as a program that was online, potential to include delivery in languages other than English, etc.