Schools Recruiting With Unrealistic Expectations

sciteach

Schools Recruiting With Unrealistic Expectations

Post by sciteach »

Hi All,

We have all heard of some teachers who have totally unrealistic expectations of pay and conditions at international schools (eg - 10K USD a month tax free in a low cost country). I'm also aware that wages and such are very different depending on each country. For example - 50 USD is very different in Singapore compared to Vietnam. I'm also aware that some schools don't pay much because they can't afford it.

I recently saw a job for a central European school with was in the 20K range for a 1 year contract (must have masters), 5 years experience + specific national curriculum experience etc for a slightly difficult to employ subject.

Without directly naming the school, what is the hardest sell you have seen for a school?
angelica1981

Re: Schools Recruiting With Unrealistic Expectations

Post by angelica1981 »

One school in Dubai's offer of free housing was really a bedroom in a flat shared with three other teachers! The director tried to convince me this was a good offer because Dubai was so great I wouldn't be spending much time in my flat anyway.

A school in South America offered me a position as a primary years class teacher. I am a secondary teacher. When I saw the salary I understood why they were having problems finding qualified people to fill the vacancies.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

We were once offered jobs in Bangkok that came with a salary that we would have had to subsidize with savings. It was a big no thanks.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

[quote=mysharona post_id=61145 time=1619219667 user_id=31990]
We were once offered jobs in Bangkok that came with a salary that we would have had to subsidize with savings. It was a big no thanks.
[/quote]

Some schools there still like to try it on and hope teachers will still buy into the "Thailand is cheap" mythology. When the reality is Bangkok is probably the most expensive city in the region after Singapore now.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Zero, it was a school where salary was zero for the first term. You got housing, and some other minor allowances but you were essentially a volunteer intern/apprentice. If after the first term they liked you they offered you a contract with salary for the remaining 20 months, but there was still no retroactive salary. After the 20 months (2 total years) they reimbursed your flight up to USD$500 if you renewed.

Parts of Thailand are cheap but Bangkok isnt one of them.