buffalofan

Re: Retirement Goal

Post by buffalofan »

[quote=Psychometrika post_id=61104 time=1618060710 user_id=218032]
fine dude wrote:
> Here is my shortlist:
> Costa Rica, Ecuador, Spain (if my nest egg is big enough), Thailand, and
> Vietnam

Good list. I'm also considering the Philippines, but SE Asia is my focus area with Thailand and Vietnam towards the top of the list.
[/quote]

Need to really focus on what parts of the countries would suit you on your list as well. Take Thailand for example, places like Chiang Mai and Pattaya are popular with retirees but I consider both of those places polluted touristy sh*tholes. I have a few spots in mind for SE Asia that I think would be awesome, but not going to share here as they are somewhat off the beaten track and I hope they stay that way...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends on where youre retiring and what the medical care situation and cost is. Ideally 1M but you could find scenarios where half that (500K) would be doable.

@Sid

ISR didnt edit your post, the filters just caught your term as a potentially offensive word. If you want to type ana1ysis substitute the numeral 1 for the lowercase L character.
ILMathTeachr

Post by ILMathTeachr »

Intriguing thread. There are so many teachers state-side who don't understand the value of the pension systems they pay into. I** have a colleague who is single, no kids, and has accumulated a ton of investment property and plans to cut short his teaching career before he attains full vestiture simply because he can. Even though he'd be taking a 'reduced' pension once he reaches 'retirement' age, the fact he accumulated rent-producing property will have the net effect of permitting him to be retired in his 50s. Not a bad place to be!
**DISCLOSURE - I am a career teacher in the US planning to go overseas after I'm fully vested in my state's pension plan.
beekayem

Post by beekayem »

fine dude wrote:
> Here is my shortlist:
> Costa Rica, Ecuador, Spain (if my nest egg is big enough), Thailand, and
> Vietnam

Cambodia or Vietnam. Maybe Thailand