PGCEi to license for new US citizen and teacher at US independent school

mike.mcmillen24

PGCEi to license for new US citizen and teacher at US independent school

Post by mike.mcmillen24 »

Hi,

I've been following along with the posts about the PGCEi and wanted to check what my options would be now since I recently just became a US citizen and I have been working at an independent school in the US (in North Carolina) for just over 3 years now. My wife is also a qualified teacher from the US and in the near future we'd like to return to teaching internationally again. I was fortunate to have no issues getting 2 teaching jobs internationally with just my PGCEi, but I want to better set myself up for teaching jobs in higher tiered schools and have a more secure future with a recognized teaching license. It seems that applying via CT (possibly provisional rather than initial with my experience?) or MA would be the best options. Are there any other options I should consider? QTS would be a bonus, but not essential since I just want a recognized license, but I assume I could get a license with CT or MA and then go through HI to achieve that? Here's a quick background

Nationality: British
Earned my Bachelors degree in England
PGCEi in 2012 (Uni of Nott)
Masters in Education 2015 (Uni of Nott)

Since gaining my PGCEi I've taught 1 year in China (2 years before my PGCEi also), 2 years in Thailand, and 3 years at an independent school in America (still working here now)

Thanks,
chemteacher101

Re: PGCEi to license for new US citizen and teacher at US independent school

Post by chemteacher101 »

I just recently posted my experience (not the same, but similar to yours) here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7775

In short: If you try to do the CT route, they will most likely ask you to complete a series of credits in things like US History, Arts and Social Sciences (unless you already have at least 3 credits in each of these things on your previous studies). Even if the only thing missing is the US HIstory credits, this would be very expensive, as the requirement is to have credits from a University Transcript. Even in cheap universities it would be expensive. Some courses can be covered through CLEP exams, but there ar eno CLEP exams for US History. In short: although some people in the forum love to suggest the CT route, it is not really that easy.

North Carolina does not seem to have an alternate path that would help you...

In all honesty, I think your best path would be simply to get an MA provisional license. It's not "the best" license, but it is a valid license, and with your CV, education and experience, it should suffice.

That being said, MA provisional would be all you could get as you cannot change that into HI. To get a license in HI you would need to have a standard license somewhere else (which the MA provisional is not) or have completed a teacher preparation program (which you have not, as PGCEi will not equate to that through a NACES evaluation -as far as I know-).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

CT is an option, as they have a purely experiential pathway. They count your valid experience in substitution for the EPP/ITT program. They do have some credit requirements. Which among others includes US History and social science. You can meet these requirements in addition to taking coursework by CLEP, there are 2 US history CLEP courses and one US civics CLEP course, these will meet the CT requirements for history. They also have a Psychology CLEP course which will meet the social science requirement. You would then need to have these exams accepted at a US Uni, such as Southern New Hampshire Uni, to have added to your transcript. UPe will be receiving its WASC accreditation soon and that becomes another viable Uni option. These exam courses are not expensive (less than USD$100 each).
The only benefit to this pathway currently is that if you have enough valid experience you could possibly obtain a CT Provisional credential which is professional grade and you could use for getting another credential such as the HI standard credential or QTS. Which youd have to do because the CT provisional credential is not renewable. The initial credential is renewable for a total of 18 years.

MA would provide you an effectively lifetime credential with the Provisional (Entry grade) credential. It would require you to complete two professional exams.

UT is an option for you. There are no exams if your degree major is in your teaching area. Its only a two year credential though and likely nonrenewable if you transition back to IE.

WA also has a residence (professional grade) credential that would be an effective lifetime credential. With your three years of experience you could use any of the pathways above to obtain a entry grade or professional grade credential. Though in the case of UT you would need to take some professional exams.

HI would be a transitional option for you. Once you have another credential and three years post credential experience (they may accept your previous 3 years experience in US DE) you would be eligible for the HI Standard (professional grade credential).

You could possibly use the CT provisional, the HI standard, or the WA residence credentials to obtain QTS.
mike.mcmillen24

Re: PGCEi to license for new US citizen and teacher at US independent school

Post by mike.mcmillen24 »

Thanks for your replies @PsyGuy and @Chemteacher101, they are both very helpful. I appreciate all the responses you've given to others which have helped people like me get this far and have some hope of reaching the end goal of a teaching license.

I've just signed up to take the MTEL test since for PE there is only 1 test and it can be taken remotely (I'm signed up for the exam next month)

I'm going to start looking into UT, WA, and CT. My degree, Sport Development with Physical Education is within my teaching area so that helps along with my M.Ed.

If UT is just a 2 year credential and non renewable then it probably isn't worth it. Or would I simply just be obtaining this to get the WA credential? If I never teach in UT is it effectively always valid, or does it just expire within 2 years of receiving it? The UT state education website seems to suggest they are restructuring their licensure structure but doesn't indicate what that will look like.
https://www.schools.utah.gov/licensing/ ... 5284&tid=0

To obtain a WA residential credential, I would need a credential from MA, UT, or CT first, right? The requirements listed here seem to suggest that: "In addition, you must complete one of the following: Copy of an out of state teaching certificate (valid or expired) AND three years of out of state teaching experience 4020F-1."
https://www.k12.wa.us/certification/tea ... -out-state

Thanks for the info on CT. If applying for a PE teaching credential would I still be required to complete the US History and Social Studies exams? I found the CLEP US History and Psychology exams for less than $100. How do I find out which universities/colleges that would accept CLEP exams? I'm happy to wait and see if UPe receives WASC accreditation and becomes a viable option. How do I go about getting these exams accepted at an accredited Uni such as UPe or Southern New Hampshire Uni that will meet the CT requirements? Is that an easy process? How much would that cost?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mike.mcmillen24

There are two exams for MA, the MTEL subject matter exam for PE and the MTEL in communication literacy.

Degree majors dont matter so much for assessment based pathways, they can in some instances (IE. UT AEL Secondary credentials) but for the most part passing the requisite exam is more important than your major.

No one really knows whats going to happen with the UT AEL credential. Based on the previous system which is likely to move forward. The previous APT Level I credential had a renewal process for the then 3 year credential that was more like an extension, with the primary consideration that the DT was working with a UT LEA in the DE system. It proved a nearly impossible challenge for an IT working OS who hadnt set foot in UT. Thats likely going to be the same or similar situation with the AEL credential.

The UT credential has a fixed expiration date, whether you are teaching on it or not.

Whether its worth it to you depends. Its a great option for an IT who at the last minute needs a secondary credential. The case of a trailing spouse who has a last minute opportunity for a position in the IS but needs a credential in anything to get the appointment.

While the AEL was reduced to 2 years from the previous 3 years it still has utility, and doesnt bar options for transition, though there are additional steps along the way.

Yes, WA requires you to have a credential first. You would need 3 years of experience which you may be able to eek out from the UT credential, an ACSI certificate, a HI Provisional (entry grade), MA Provisional (entry grade) etc. You could potentially renew a contract at your current IS after two years on the expired credential.

The US history and social science requirements are not specific to the credential being sought. They are part of the general credentialing requirements.

You would contact the Unis various admissions offices regarding the transfer credit process. Most Unis will publish their list of CLEP acceptance somewhere on their website. Fees for transfer credit vary.