Post-degree supervised teaching practice in order to obtain QTS

Elysium82

Post-degree supervised teaching practice in order to obtain QTS

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey guys,

I hold a BA and a PGCEi (no QTS).

Is there a way to obtain the necessary supervised practice in order to be considered for QTS just in a few weeks/months as part of a simplified programme that doesn't cost a fortune?

AO routes cost around 4k pounds. That is way too much. I am currently not employed and I don't see myself obtaining a job at a school that uses the British curriculum. Getintoteaching used to have something similar, but due to cuts of gov funds they expect people to work for free now for year in order to award them QTS. That is something I can't do (mainly because I hold an EU passport and now the UK has shut the doors to EU members completely). I am not planning to study again and be part of a teacher training course. I just need the supervised teaching side of it.

Thank you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, if you have an appointment in a IS/DS its AO.
If you dont have an appointment then a ITT/EPP program such as Now Teach in the UK would allow you to complete a year long field experience to obtain QTS. Yes its essentially uncompensated work, though some DSs may pay you at the unqualified band on the MPS.
You could look at QTLS, which is awarded after completion of a Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training program. These programs only require 100 field experience hours (at a minimum, various programs may require more), once you have QTLS you can gain QTS.

If you want something low cost and low effort and offers a credential other than QTS than the MA Provisional (entry grade credential) requires only a couple of exams, during the pandemic you can even take the exams online as opposed to traveling.
Elysium82

Re: Response

Post by Elysium82 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Yes, if you have an appointment in a IS/DS its AO.
> If you dont have an appointment then a ITT/EPP program such as Now Teach in
> the UK would allow you to complete a year long field experience to obtain
> QTS. Yes its essentially uncompensated work, though some DSs may pay you at
> the unqualified band on the MPS.
> You could look at QTLS, which is awarded after completion of a Level 5
> Diploma in Education and Training program. These programs only require 100
> field experience hours (at a minimum, various programs may require more),
> once you have QTLS you can gain QTS.
>
> If you want something low cost and low effort and offers a credential other
> than QTS than the MA Provisional (entry grade credential) requires only a
> couple of exams, during the pandemic you can even take the exams online as
> opposed to traveling.

Thank you. A DET programme would be ideal, but they all get back to me saying "we are not in charge of your supervised teaching experience".
https://www.lsib.co.uk/course-details.a ... rd=Diploma
This programme is ideal, but they were telling me to sort the experience side out on my own. So, obviously one needs to be working at a school that uses the British curriculum in order to do this.

"though some DSs may pay you at
> the unqualified band on the MPS" <-- This doesn't exist anymore due to budget cuts.

The MA entry grade credential is the Massachusetts one, right?
muinteoir

Re: Post-degree supervised teaching practice in order to obtain QTS

Post by muinteoir »

Elysium82 wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I hold a BA and a PGCEi (no QTS).
>
> Is there a way to obtain the necessary supervised practice in order to be
> considered for QTS just in a few weeks/months as part of a simplified
> programme that doesn't cost a fortune?
>
> AO routes cost around 4k pounds. That is way too much. I am currently not
> employed and I don't see myself obtaining a job at a school that uses the
> British curriculum. Getintoteaching used to have something similar, but due
> to cuts of gov funds they expect people to work for free now for year in
> order to award them QTS. That is something I can't do (mainly because I
> hold an EU passport and now the UK has shut the doors to EU members
> completely). I am not planning to study again and be part of a teacher
> training course. I just need the supervised teaching side of it.
>
> Thank you.

The AO route with Sunderland is £1850. Is there any way at all you could find a British curriculum school in Europe where you could just be on placement for 3 months and get QTS over and done with?
shadowjack

Re: Post-degree supervised teaching practice in order to obtain QTS

Post by shadowjack »

Look for schools that hire interns. Search Associates has a list - before you sign up, reach out to the associate who works with the interns and ask directly about does Search Associates have British Schools which hire interns?

You could also reach out to the British School of Caracas and see if they would take a flyer on a very motivated intern :-)

I have worked at schools which hired interns - it was a good starting point for them.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Elysium82

Yes, you need to arrange and provide for your own field experience, but at 100 hours its a very short field experience.

No, the unqualified level on the MPS exists, and there are DSs/ISs that provide it hasnt been dissolved.

Yes, thats the Massachusetts credential.

Yes, the Sunderland AO program is £1850 which seems less than the TES Institute cost of £3000, but Sunderland charges you separately for the travel itinerary of the tutor which comes out to about the same as TES.

If you could find an IS to appoint you for 3 months to do AO, you could just use it to do the DET program in less than a month which is a much shorter period of time.

SA considers an intern as in intern class IT to have a credential and a degree but lacks the two years requisite experience. They are not likely to accept you until you have QTS (even as an NQT).

You need not just an IS that will hire you as an intern, you need one that provides the UK NC, but you got to start somewhere.