Can a PG Certificate in Computer Science help one become an ICT teacher?

Elysium82

Can a PG Certificate in Computer Science help one become an ICT teacher?

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey guys,

I hold a BA in languages and a PGCEi (no QTS) from British universities. I'm planning to retrain and work as an ICT teacher?

Would a PG Certificate in Computer Science from the University of Essex (lvl 7) help me achieve that?

My understanding is that it would, but I guess most of you have a better understanding of the market than I do.

I am planning to work at an international school (since I won't be able to apply to public schools without the QTS). However, one drawback is that it might be a competitive market. I would need to work for 2 years minimum (after obtaining such certificate) before anyone would take me seriously. I have 11 years of ESL experience, but that might not be good for them. I assume most international schools would ask for 2 years of post-qualification experience.

Anyway, what do you guys think? What pros/cons obtaining such a certificate might present?

Thank you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes it would help. Its half a Masters, it would provide you better marketability but so would many things. At the upper end you really need to find a way of getting a credential, if for no other reason that a credential is going to check that box that allows an IS to obtain a visa to work in a KS/K12 environment in many instances.
For that matter what about just doing a degree in C.Sci like another bachelors degree from somewhere like UPe, though anything less than a Masters isnt likely to get you a salary band increase.
Elysium82

Re: Response

Post by Elysium82 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Yes it would help. Its half a Masters, it would provide you better
> marketability but so would many things. At the upper end you really need to
> find a way of getting a credential, if for no other reason that a
> credential is going to check that box that allows an IS to obtain a visa to
> work in a KS/K12 environment in many instances.
> For that matter what about just doing a degree in C.Sci like another
> bachelors degree from somewhere like UPe, though anything less than a
> Masters isnt likely to get you a salary band increase.

Doing another degree would be an option, but why would I start from scratch when the University of Essex offers these PG Certificates?
Plus it would take 3 years to do everything anew and it would cost a fortune.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Elysium82

Because youre not starting from scratch. UPe accepts up to 75%(90 credits) of the degree requirements. You could do the remainder in about a year and it would cost you a few thousand USD.