Seeking Advice!

Cupis

Seeking Advice!

Post by Cupis »

Hi everyone!

Are there any Non-US citizens here who pursued a MAT from the US while being abroad? I would love to hear some of your thoughts.

How was your practicum experience? Were you able to do it overseas at an IS or did you have to go the the states? How was getting your license (Since some states don't issue a license unless you hold a green card as a foreigner)?

If you have any universities that have a great option and flexibility for Non-citizens, I would love to get some recommendations.

I also know about Teach-now program, but to my understanding it is only the license (They have a masters extension... but it's not endorsed by anything..). My train of thought (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that having a MAT would definitely be more marketable than having a BA in Business and a teaching license without prior teaching experience.

I would love some thoughts from admins out there as well: Would a MAT look better or Teach-Now would suffice?

FYI. I am considering a transition in career and looking at possible options as I am passionate about teaching as well (Also, white collar jobs are not my 'thing' I realize).

Cheers!
A
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not all US based MAT programs are attached or include an ITT/EPP program that leads to a credential.
Its not the Uni that you need to be concerned with but the state DOE that is the regulating authority in issuing credentials.

There are three things that determine an ITs marketability, What they can teach (credentials, certificates, degrees, etc.) what they have taught (experience, exam scores, etc.) and special skills, of them experience is king. Without that a credential has more marketability, ISs want professional DTs/ITs and for many it is required to meet immigration and labor requirements. A MAT being a Masters will have more utility for you, it will get you more coin than a credential will. In many regions a Masters degree may be the working credential for the region.

You may be interested in pursuing the MA Provisional (entry grade) credential. Due to COVID you can take the professional exams online and there is no EPP/ITT program. You can then use this credential and shop your resume around to see what your marketability is worth.
Cupis

Re: Seeking Advice!

Post by Cupis »

Thank you for sharing! Appreciate your feedback :)
buffalofan

Re: Seeking Advice!

Post by buffalofan »

In addition to checking carefully if the MAT would lead to a credential (many programs will not), you need to check if the University will charge you international student tuition. If so, those fees can be massive...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @SJ, international tuition/fees at US Unis can be and usually are very high. If youre looking for a low cost US Uni, UPe is just over USD$3K.