I need to retrain in order to survive this pandemic.

Elysium82

I need to retrain in order to survive this pandemic.

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey guys,

I hold a British BA (English/Spanish) and a PGCEi.

I can't possibly teach at public schools with a PGCEi. International schools won't hire me either (simply because I did languages and nativisim is going strong now with the pandemic on).

I am not planning to go back to training centres.
So, I have 2 options:

1, I can do a course and retrain as an IT teacher. I am ditching this idea (I don't really have the money to go back to school, pay the tuition fees..etc.)
Getintoteaching should have been an option, but due to Brexit and gov cuts.....that just won't happen.

2, I find a salaried (primary or secondary) teacher training provider somewhere.

Now, has anyone done anything similar in an English-speaking country? I know that I can't do this in England. I have also tried to apply in Canada, but they are making it impossible. Their problem is that my PGCEi didn't have a practicum side. Now they are expecting me to enrol on a Canadian course that costs 8k CAD (I don't really have that money....but I assume I can get it somehow once things go back to normal).
So, I would probably do it, but they are asking for things that I can't provide (experience from a Canadian public school....which is hard to get if I can only get a tourist visa and that won't allow me to volunteer).
fine dude

Re: I need to retrain in order to survive this pandemic.

Post by fine dude »

How about finding a job at a lower tier international school, get paid, and study part-time? There is always a school that fits your CV. You can even request some PD funds towards your teaching courses. BTW, where do you wanna teach?
unsure

Post by unsure »

Elysium82 wrote:
Their problem is that my PGCEi didn't have a practicum side.

Nottingham Uni by any chance ?

So many people have tried to warn against this, yet time and again people get sucked in.

How about training to be an EAL / English teacher, if that's what your degree is in ?
mathphyschap

Post by mathphyschap »

I've worked with quite a few teachers with a PGCEi at tier 1 and tier 2 international schools.

Some of them have also gone on to work in UK independent (private) schools which don't need the full PGCE+ QTS, it maybe that some private schools in Canada accepts PGCEis - though I have no idea about this

Once things are back to normal, perhaps August 2022, then I think there should be a job for you in China at a tier 3 international school - I believe there is a Canadian chain associated with a particular type of 'leaf' that has schools across China and many more that would accept your PGCEi, particularly if you are willing to go to a city other than Beijing or Shanghia

Once you have done two years then you can look at applying to tier 2 schools and your in the system
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There is a job for anyone if you will accept anything.
China has a high demand for NES ITs.
A PGCEi is a working qualification in many ISs, though more so in lower tier ISs. Many PGCEi type programs that do not involve QTS have the same issues, it is not exclusive to the Nottingham program.