Teaching in China

drosophila

Teaching in China

Post by drosophila »

Hi guys,

Do you think it is possible for expats to relocate to China this summer given the current pandemic?
Heard latest news China is not ready to open its borders to newly recruited teachers.

Btw, I have just been offered a 2 year contract in China. Offer letter signed and stamped and apparently my employer is hoping I can go over by August latest.
offwego

Re: Teaching in China

Post by offwego »

There are multiple posts about this both in these forums and the member forums.

Basically, yes, it's possible that people will be able to relocate to China this summer/fall. Check to see how your school handled the pandemic last year and if they were able to get teachers into the country. If they did a good job, it'll probably be a similar story this year.

IMHO, it was obvious the pandemic was going to worsen in winter, so it's no surprise to me that borders have been closed/tightened. Things can change quickly, though, and I suspect China will start letting people in as spring and summer comes around and more people get vaccinated. This is all just my opinion, but I am optimistic. I myself have accepted a job in China and have three dependents coming with me.
drosophila

Post by drosophila »

Thanks for the reply. But how do I check the on the school's handling of the incoming teachers during the 2020 period. Would love to find out.
offwego

Post by offwego »

Check the member forums (it's worth the money) and also this link:

https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... -informed/

You can also try contacting a current teacher at the school. If admin won't give you any contact info, it's usually not too hard to figure out email addresses for yourself.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Its not necessarily how a particular school reacted to the events of the past year but how China is reacting right now. My school recruited almost entirely from within China for the 21-22 school year because of the difficulty bringing new teachers into China, we continue to have teachers hired last year sitting outside unable to get in. To compound the problem even if the teacher was able to obtain a visa and flight, their dependents are unable to join them for the foreseeable future.
sid

Post by sid »

The country might increase or decrease obstacles. That’s true across the world. What matters in this case is how the school handles that. Are teachers supported? Still on payroll? Given timely updates, acknowledging what the school does and does not know, does and does not control?
Our school, in a different country with plenty of obstacles, took months to get everyone in this year. It was frustrating for everyone, both here and not here. But we stayed on top of it. Did the right things. And for next year, we’re gearing up to do it again. Two advantages this time: we already figured it out once, so that helps even if they change the rules. And all our newest hires have been in touch with last year’s hires and heard how we had their backs. They’re more confident we can be trusted.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

There was a period of time when returning teachers and a few new teachers were able to get into China. Though the borders are not officially closed now, I don't think international teachers are going to be let in for the time being. I suspect it will open up again with limitations a month or so after Chinese New Year celebrations if there are not serious outbreaks that happen within China.

Ours school was able to bring in a half dozen or so new teachers with trailing spouses or dependent children, though there were others that didn't make the cut. I think luck played a part and where they were coming from was the other thing that impacted who made it. But there didn't seem a clear pattern from even where people were coming from that emerged, or at least which consulate or the embassy you applied to seemed to have an impact in some cases.

I'd say it's a risk, but you may end up with a great job with less competition because of people deciding not to apply. If you don't have dependents, it will probably be easier too. The good news is the bulk of schools in China have open campuses, and have been open since sometime in May/June. A few schools closed their campuses a bit early for CNY as a precaution. And if there's a lot of outbreaks our campuses might shut down again, but so far the spread has been largely contained and school campuses are open for the time being.

Good luck.

Eion
fangpiren

Post by fangpiren »

I came here on a family visa last March and immediately found a job. The school just recently was able to convert my family visa to a residence permit without me having to leave China. Every time in the past, I 100% and without exception needed a Z-visa to get the residence permit. I don't know if this answers your question but there is a huge demand for IS teacher right now.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont think youll be able to get in, in time for your appointment. Your ISs contract and all the accompaniments will mean all of nothing if all the IS just has to say "pandemic", and the contract, offer letter, etc. are rendered null.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

I think it's too early to call, honestly. Not just for China, but in general.

Did anyone expect cases to drop so quickly in the past two weeks?
We're still in the middle of winter, too. And vaccine rollouts will only improve.

The floodgates won't open, but when Spring starts in late-March, and the current trends have not reversed.....I'd expect only good news.

Just my two cents.