Applying to Dubai

RW1886

Applying to Dubai

Post by RW1886 »

Good morning all,

Hope you’re well.
Given the circumstances and life being a bit stagnant, I’m considering teaching abroad.
The move would have to be secure, stable and a happy one as it’d be with my 11 year old son who wouldn’t want to leave his family willingly. It’s just the two of us so any real disappointment would be quite devastating! Fresh & welcoming accommodation, comfort and access are priorities in supporting our settling.
The post I’m considering is a GEM school.
Does anyone have more specific advice on work life, atmosphere, potential living arrangements etc please?
This would be my first time working abroad.
Many thanks, your insight is much appreciated!
:)
sid

Re: Applying to Dubai

Post by sid »

Dubai can be a gamble. Some love it, some hate it. And the sparkly establishments (we shouldn't mention specific names) come in various flavors, some of which are better suited for certain personalities. I myself quite enjoyed the ME, in the right school and the right country. Others hate it, even in the same school and country I loved.
With your family circumstances, it might make more sense to seek opportunities in other countries, places that tend to get a more consistent reaction from their teachers, instead of a love-it or hate-it sort of place like Dubai.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The school chain you mention runs the gamut from great to horrible, but everything I have read has it trending down right now. I have friends who are finishing their two and done, and quite happy to be leaving. At one, it seems the new head has turned everything shambolic and it is a hot mess that you couldn't get me to touch with a bargepole. But apparently the new head is still running the show despite people running to the exits.

Bottom line, do your homework, research the heck out of schools on ISR and other sites, and try to make the best choice you can.

If you are really looking for a solid British School, I would highly recommend the British School of Riyadh - lovely site on Al Hamra compound and my friends who worked there really liked it. Riyadh is definitely not what anybody might imagine, and as the capital city, there is a lot of access to embassy stuff if you meet the right people (and as the British School has an affiliation with BAE, it does help open doors).

Good luck, whichever choice you make!
RW1886

Post by RW1886 »

Thank you SO much to all who have responded to this and apologies for the delay of my acknowledgment. As a single mother with a reluctant to move son, it’s essential I make well-informed decisions. You’ve truly supported with this. I can’t afford to take the risk- if we at any point felt detached from standard accesses i.e basic necessities, WiFi & regular comforts, neither one of us could manage well at all. Thank you for taking the time to advise!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If that IS is the option, than my coins against you getting the setup and circumstances the way you describe and require. Its craps roll probabilities.
chuck

Post by chuck »

I think there is a huge difference in GEMS schools. I worked at one 10 years ago in Dubai. I still have friends working in Dubai.
GEMS is known for bean-counting as a for profit institution. That bothers a lot of teachers. I dealt with it well, as I like to teach my classes, coach, and go and enjoy where I am living without investing into the admin drama. If you strongly believe that decisions in education should be made with regards to money considerations, then don't work at GEMS. You will be frustrated. Also some of the GEMS schools were making people work a lot of hours, like GWA. At DAA, people typically left just after the kids did...big difference.
Nexttrip

Post by Nexttrip »

chuck wrote:
> I think there is a huge difference in GEMS schools. I worked at one 10
> years ago in Dubai. I still have friends working in Dubai.
> GEMS is known for bean-counting as a for profit institution. That bothers a
> lot of teachers. I dealt with it well, as I like to teach my classes,
> coach, and go and enjoy where I am living without investing into the admin
> drama. If you strongly believe that decisions in education should be made
> with regards to money considerations, then don't work at GEMS. You will be
> frustrated. Also some of the GEMS schools were making people work a lot of
> hours, like GWA. At DAA, people typically left just after the kids
> did...big difference.

Chuck- The DAA you knew 10 years ago doesn't exist and is a currently completely the opposite of what you describe.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Unless your a mercenary IT, meaning your focused on the coin or some other singular factor, avoid chain ISs.