How to make the most of my free time with the aim of moving to an international school?

slacjs

How to make the most of my free time with the aim of moving to an international school?

Post by slacjs »

I'm a UK citizen currently working with my (South African) wife in Korean public schools as ESL teachers. I'm looking to move to international school to teach computer science/ICT in the next several years after gathering more savings and waiting for covid to relax.

I'm curious what we should be doing right now to start preparing. My wife has a BEd, I have a BSc in Software Engineering. Would my time be best spent doing a masters, if so in CS or education? How about looking into US teaching license courses such as teach now, or a "PGCEi" such as the one offered at Nottingham University?

It's possible for us to move to the UK in a few years to try to gain QTS there however it can be difficult due to visa/money issues. Something I could do right now to help in the future would be perfect. We have a lot of free time at work so it feels a waste to not be using it.

Thank you for any advice.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A credential is probably worth more, parsing the metrics and given the resources required for a Masters. With COVID you can take the exams online for the MA Provisional (entry grade) credential, which aside from the application is all it takes. This is probably the easiest and least resource intensive route.