Step Down to Get on the Ladder

Spawnboy99

Step Down to Get on the Ladder

Post by Spawnboy99 »

2 STEPS BACKWARDS TO GO 4 STEPS FORWARD.

20 years experience, 16 years international and around 10 years of some form of leadership roles. Taught a variety of curricula from Cambridge, National, Foundation Stage, IPC, IEYC and a little of PYP. This year like many has been tough, do you believe in the notion, trying to get a foot back on the ladder may need to target lower-quality schools (less pay, fewer benefits etc). Youth jobs are about investing in career and not money 2-3 years of good learning and training on the job plus a good reference should set me up well. I'm looking at Early Year plus Grade 1 Head positions and the goal is within 5-6 years be a Head of Lower years or Primary in a better school and then in 10+ years Head of School. But again no one has a crystal ball.

Interested in hearing about other peoples experience moving up the ladder and how they did it. I have returned back home due to Covid but after one-year teaching back home, have no desire to teach in the classroom here.
sid

Re: Step Down to Get on the Ladder

Post by sid »

Your theory is generally correct. Now you need to start applying and see what happens. Apply everywhere with a relevant position. Sometimes it’s not necessary to move down.
If this is for 2021-23 positions, take heed. Recruiting is already wrapping up, or wrapped up, for many schools. COVID changed the dynamics significantly and there were more teachers looking at less positions. You might need to wait.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Sounds about right and I generally agree with @Sid, you may not have to step down but you likely will.

There are 3 general avenues into leadership:
1) Grow In: You start at an IS as an IT, you work well with leadership, parents and ownership, and then when there is an opening you get the job because ownership trusts you and leadership and parents like you. This pathway is faster at lower tier ISs, where there is a lot of turnover and longevity often means your only one of the few staff to renew.
2) Work In: You get a M.Ed in Ed.Ld, you add a credential, you build some leadership or management experience and you work your way up into leadership. This may and often requires some work in DE. This is the pathway that accounts for the majority of leadership. Candidates were leadership in DE, and they were hired as leadership in IE.
3) Edge In: You make friends and build a network, maybe you marry into, but someone in ownership likes you and gives you the job, or someone in leadership helps you get into the job. This is the least common path into leadership.

Leadership roles are defined by reports, peer deliverables, or resource budgeting and allocation.